What to do with extra plants/space

What’s up fine people. I’m hoping the botany section of this site can start growing as there’s a lot of smart people on here. Anyway, so I have my greenhouse setup all done for this season, and now trying to figure out what to do with extra space and plants. I have 3 flat tiers of space. Originally I was going to do all full outdoor plants, as I have a bunch of 300 gallon smart pots. But got to wondering about better options. Here were a few thoughts… I don’t really want to go balls in on infrastructure or anything. This is kind of a “bonus space” to make the best of

A) just do 1 plant per 300 gallon and hope they explode in size

B) do multiple plants per 300 gallon pot and just get a nice sea of green in each pot

3C) fill the entire space with the extra plants in 3 gal pots and let them do whatever they do in those small pots… in the past me and my partner had extra space, and we just bought a shitload of Kings mix in bags, laid a ton of bags out and planted right in the bags. Or buy a bunch of those cheap ass plastic bag pots and bomb out the area with like 5-10 gallon bags

What would you do with extra space and extra plants

I’m always a fan of multiple smaller plants so that you can cull without losing a potential 10 pounder if you were going for bigger plants. IMO smaller plants plus a simple drip tube system will be easier than setting up the multi-trellis needed for monsters.

3 gallons to 10 gallons and then light dep them.

Your too late for a huge 300lb pot. U gotta start those seeds in December and baby them thru winter with 14 hours of light.
I would go with two 60 gal pot rows and plant asap.
Anything smaller than 60 and your loosing out on potential or gotta water too often.
Hook em up to a blumat watering system and u will be good to go.

2 Likes

The greenhouses will be depped so this will be an extra full term run… I got my clones March 8th so they are already like 3-4 feet tall, but I agree too small for 300 gallons on their own, so for that tier I’m going to do two rows of 30 gal pots, run some trellis over them and let them do their thing. I over ordered the 30 gal pots so I have extras… I’d like to go a little bigger but again, this is kind of a bonus grow so just gonna make due with what I have. I’m now wondering if for the 300 gallon bags if I should drop 2 plants in it. But overall I got my answer/plan and I appreciate all the input :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree it’s too late to get them into a 300gal pot. I’d suggest mix it up with different pot sizes and have a bit of fun while learning which works the best in your system. Hook them all up to Blumats if you want something that basically takes care of itself. You can use the standard Tropf carrots with smaller (3-7 gal) pots or get extra emitters or their tape if you’re using larger ones.

Also don’t overlook making raised beds out of scrap wood. Easy, cheap, effective.

Don’t stress too much about pot size. Make sure you’re properly planning out your growing media and nutrient schedule, then things should be smooth sailing.

Lol 3 or 4 ft if it were me I’d only fill those 300s halfway fold the rest and send em. Then again I put 2 or 3 fts out mid may in Michigan in the ground and there fkn beasts by August

3 Likes

We always try to diversify with extra garden space. I’ve done hemp (CBD/CBG), hops, reaper peppers, amaranth/quinoa, basil, and kale. (My wife f*cking loves kale). We’ve always made some extra scratch or fed ourselves with it.