What to do with a hermaphrodite?

Do u see two white hairs coming out of the female parts or just one and is is slightly greenish?

1 Like

I think the green shoot versus the white hairs can identify a male versus female in growth stage, correct?

The second picture is what a male or female can look like, those are premature genetils. Usually show up where genetals should in the first 5 weeks of life.
I mean dont u see those green things on both ur pics? Why would u think its indicative of a male?

1 Like

Came to the thread to post ā€œKill it with fireā€ lol. Glad someone else beat me too it.

4 Likes

Those definitely dont look like pistols i am seeing a full male right nowā€¦maybe unstable but still a male at this point.

Can some one tell me the difference between a herm and self crossing a plant? or should I say whats the difference in genetics between a herm plant and self crossing a plant?

1 Like

When you self a plant you use a silver based solution to block the production of male chromosomes to produce female pollen. You are technically herming the plant, just preventing it from producing male genetics. Someone feel free to correct me if iā€™m wrong, my knowledge on this is only ankle deep.

2 Likes

A colloidal silver spray will make your female grow male flowers. Iā€™m not sure of how it does that, but since it is a female, it wonā€™t have any y chromosomes, therefore only producing female pollen. So it isnā€™t really blocking the formation of male chromosomes, just allowing a female to make pollen instead of ovules.

2 Likes

So what If i dumped silver nanoparticles onto the soil?!

1 Like

3 Likes

Get rid of it. Itā€™s so early and small I wouldnā€™t worry about it. Iā€™ve seen stuff at week 6 completely herm over night. I bagged it and threw it to the side and walked away w no seeds in the final product of the surrounding plants. I feel like people tend to exaggerate about it seeding your whole crop.

1 Like

Good question! I would guess that it would have a similar effect as spraying, but more pronounced. Iā€™m think it works by blocking or inhibiting a hormone to induce male flowers, something like that. Would be interesting to do as an experiment though.

A male can carry both female and male chromosomes. A female can only carry female chromosomes. When you use silver it stresses the plant and herms it. In return because the female pollen will not carry that male chromosome the seeds will be female. Thats why male pollen can produce both female and male seeds but females can only produce female seeds.

4 Likes

It may just be a male. Hard to tell from picture. Iā€™ll forward the photo to Yoda

My vote is now HERM

It blocks the hormones that make her flower

2 Likes

Srsly +10 rep for actually video taping it on fire.

3 Likes

Haha thanks moveweight! Couldnā€™t help myself, always posting cannabis related videos on my channel

1 Like

The silver doesnt necesarrily cause male flowers just do to stress. Just like us, we can modulate how much estrogen and testosterone we have to make us male or female. Works the same for plants. By giving them silver its basically a ā€œestrogenā€ inhibitor, so the plant is not able to produce the ā€œestrogenā€ needed to make female parts. The ā€œtestosteroneā€ production is very little in a ā€œfemaleā€ plant but is still there, so when the ā€œestrogenā€ gets blocked, its forced to use the only thing it has which is ā€œtestosteroneā€. You can do the same to a male plant and inhibit the ā€œtestosteroneā€ and the male will grow female flowers.
Only thing that still blows my mind are super malesā€¦ they have extra chromosomes and whatnot. I think those are made by a regular male pollinating a reversed male.
FYI the bad rep of feminized strains comes from people selfing the plant, dont do that, just breed two siblings together to get a feminized line and youll be happy.

2 Likes

Quarantine, get a flame thrower and torch away.

1 Like