What tf is a seed crystal? Where do I aquire them or what do I use as one?

Okay so I’ve been reading into thca crystallization and I keep reading if the user who made the crystals used a seed. What is a seed crystal? I read the definition on Wikipedia and it says a pre-made crystal of what your trying to crystallize or basically an organic pre-made crystal of an organic compound. So what do I use for one?

2 Likes

You can acquire seeds by buying some diamonds. Take one of the crystals and drop it into your solution and that’ll be your seed. You can also score your jar which will help form a site for crystal to start forming but it can weaken the integrity of your jar

Ohhhhhh okay okay so the thread about different plating for miners and stuff it was to induce formations quicker w/o a seed right?

2 Likes

All a seed crystal does is act as a point from which other thca molecules can begin to migrate from the solution into the crystal lattice. Seed crystals sre not necessary and you can achieve similar results by scraping the bottom of a mason jar on the inside. The jagged surface created will help seed crystal growth.

3 Likes

And make it real hard to sterilize properly

Steam generator works just fine.

1 Like

Does this make any more sense now you know what they are?

3 Likes

For cleaning scored jars?

@Rowan, you are referring to scored jars being harder to sterilize right?

Not suggesting that fondling a seed crystal before tossing it in the jar is the issue?!?

1 Like

I dont really know what was being implied but i understand that a jagged surface would be a good spot for microorganisms to set up shop.

I was really just offering the idea of using a steam generstor to sterilize as a no brainer solution, assuming thats what Rowan was talkin aboot.

1 Like

Gotcha. Yeah, that should work.

I’m pretty sure any steam generator that gets close enough to me for that trick to be preformed will end up on solvent evaporation duty…but I’m just guessing based on historical data. :wink:

3 Likes

I have done side by side comparisons and seeding is the way to go 100% . Any amount of a seed is better than none . I can visually watch some batches start to crash instantly with seeds. It take much longer without in my opinion. When running CRC and seeding that shit crashes instantly . It can also help strains that don’t form big facets get slightly better facet structure .

1 Like

So on another link someone said you can add NaCl(sodioum chloride, salt) to act as the seed???
Crazy but is this true if so how?

Look up nucleation. There’s homogeneous and heterogeneous nucleation. You have to make your own crystals first and then seed with those to seed.

2 Likes