What strains is recommended to grow for Hemp farm 2020?

Hi Guys, I will be managing a small 8 acre farm in Southern California and I am leaning to grow CBG mostly just wondering if I should be open to CBD strains or focus on other strains with dominance in certain cannabinoids and of course less than 0.3 in Total THC?
It would be nice if all hemp growers didn’t grow the same strain or same dominance in cannabinoid.

2 Likes

Is California not adopting the Fed rules on total thc until 2021? If you are in a Delta 9 State, like me in Illinois, the party continues for one more year. As far as cbd goes, you can grow pretty much whatever you want.

1 Like

True plants testing under 0.3 Delta 9 is still the rule. In my opinion flowers that have the lowest total THC makes distillate worth more so it doesn’t go over 0.3 in Distillate form. I mean what strains are hemp farmers growing this year CBD, CBG, or other minors. I’m trying to grow CBG only cause its biomass and Distillate oil are worth more.

Lets touch on a few subjects here in terms of hemp cultivation for 2020.

Market:

• CBG markets will see prices fall as supply meets demand.
  • CBD prices will rise due to the large amount of CBG grown in 2019 and new FDA regulations allowing CBD to be marketed as a dietary supplement.

This should level out the market prices for most cannabinoids.

Regulations:

• If regulations change to “total THC” for all states farmers will need to be proactive on field testing and harvest windows. Harvesting will now need to be done at the correct time for their specific target cannabinoid. Harvesting and drying will now need to be done within days, NOT WEEKS!

Failures:

• Poor preparation and/or planning
  • Poor seed or starts
  • Poor market research (DO NOT GROW FOR THE SMOKEABLE, GRAIN OR FIBER)
  • Lack of knowledge
  • Failure to utilize the proper equipment
  • Failure to join a Co-Op or other equipment sharing groups. (Sharing equipment will be the #1 key to success for farms under 50 acres)
    -DRYING, DRYING, DRYING!

If you have any questions or need more information, feel free to contact me anytime.

8 Likes

Why the no smokeables? What tour preferred methodfor drying? I assume your growing to process? Thanks and appreciate it. Nice post!

1 Like

in my opinion, you should grow for biomass and build your finance plans based on biomass. If you do this, you can always harvest flower for smokeable and its just a bonus.

2 Likes

Could not agree more about he equipment sharing. It is a must that the small farms cut costs wherever they can, without sacrificing quality. Equipment is the first line item where costs can be drastically cut by offering labor, owned equipment, or short term lease. Excellent post

1 Like

Yes that’s very useful insight. I plan on harvesting 8 acres so if anyone in the southern california, area wants to go in on equipment or we can rent equipment you own , have shoot a DM. I think we plan on doing 2-3 CBD strains and also CBG.

1 Like

@BioHemp.THC where in So Cal? We currently have co-op members in NV and CA. We can likely help

100% agree with not flooding the market with a couple strains, and specific Cannabinoids. Though the market will stabilize as people find that different phenos will work better in their particular environments, and specific use(biomass,extraction,smoke-able, etc) With that being said, Here in northern Utah we have had huge success with–Wife varieties, Cherry wine(outdoor) Charlotte’s web(where available) and the Otto varieties. Colorado had huge success with T1(outdoor) and Harlequin. Make educated decisions and don’t forget to have fun!

What cbd ones ?