What makes high Delta-8 in Distillate

When making distillate my goal is to get a very light color product that is high in delta-9. I noticed that product has been coming back with COAs that are >85% total THC but are sometimes 50% Delta-8 and sometime <10% Delta-8. As I said my goal is to get high levels of D-9. Where is this D-8 coming from. Is it just the trim people are giving me or is it something in the process that is turning it from D-9 to D-8 ?

Please note the magnifying located at the top right of the screen. Once you’ve exhausted this option I’m sure their will be plenty of people willing to help with your specific questions which arent already covered.

no-spooning-no-hotlinking

8 Likes

Are you putting any absorbents in the boiling flask during your distillation???

acidic conditions and excess heat can change d9 into d8

5 Likes

Do you like Huey Lewis and The News?

11 Likes

Why don’t you search before saying this crap !!!
If you find something I have not after scouring the web for the last week then I’d appreciate the input.

2 Likes

Thanks Killa, no absorbents. I have been using T-41 to bleach the product using futures SOP/carbon chem SOP (think he stole from future) but that’s always been consistent. And is removed before distilling. I can not see any other parameters being different.
I was thinking
a) input material grew that way
b) input material was old and broke down to delta-8
c) temps on mantle are always a little different depending on batch but not so much that it’s causing discoloration or obvious oxidation

It s not your biomass
It’s almost certain the T41 or AC
Or as last option dry ice direct in contact with solution at any time
And ultimately your biomass is treated with some product that leaves acitic resides while grown

5 Likes

There are several threads concerning delta 8 and why, what causes the conversion. You didn’t look that hard. And if you really searched for “weeks”…I dunno man :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

Very interesting. I extract with dry ice in the solution as a co-solvent and don’t have these problems

1 Like

Several members have/are extracting with dry ice directly in solution without any problems yet from time to time a batch go a horribly wrong most probably deu to carbonic acid
A phenomena also often seen by not well neutralized co 2 extract

2 Likes

Yes I can see “how” to make delta-8, but I was not able to find what other reasons it may show up. Via our discussions here I can see now that it’s not happening naturally and that it’s via a reaction. From what I gather (please chime in if I’m wrong) delta-8 is caused by acidic ph with water present + heat to drive the reaction. In my case the t41 is changing the Ph with water from either the t41 it’s self (it has to have a little, it’s not anhydrous) and/or water in the alcohol used to put the crude mixture into solution for filtering. Then refluxed in the rotovap while removing the alcohol or in the boiling flask of the SPD.

My next question: is it possible to use a ph buffer such as some sodium bicarbonate in my alcohol to get a neutral ph to stop the isomerization of delta-9 to delta-8 ???

Ph your ethanol. It will be 3.5 after adding DI. At least 35 gallons of mine are.

1 Like

What are you using to ph your ethanol and what ph range are you looking for ?

Litmus paper

Iirc etoh is 7ph normally

1 Like

are You using carbon?
Carbon or other compounds in the Spd will isomerize cannabis. Your filtration techniques? LLE can also cause isomerization but don’t know the process you’re running. You should not have more than 2 percent delta 8 if your not looking for that.

I’d use t5 or carbon if you want high d8, t41 causes d10 and will give you lower d8 yields. All I make is d8 and I always use t5 in the flask

4 Likes

So the cbn peak in my d8 might actually be d10? I used t41

You mean the CBC*, you wont make CBC through degradation

1 Like

What process would be best for color remediation, if you want to get the highest level of Delta-9 ?