What is your procedure for oil in eyes

Thought came to mind today, what would you do if someone got an oil laden solution in their eyes? This thought worried me today so I would like to have a plan. We already have an emergency eye wash station along with secondary bottle stations in all rooms but that won’t do much if there’s oil in the solution

2 Likes

Those eye stations will get the oil out. Have you ever used one?

1 Like

@Infoseeker
Yes I have to test it, but you really believe it will?

You should make sure people are properly trained on them. At an old job I had hot hydraulic fluid sprayed into my eye and rinsed the shit out of it with one of those bottles and my eye was fine. I think it was just red from how aggressively I rinsed

3 Likes

Quick grab the dab rig and the spatula! Jk, I have eye wash stations mounted on the walls throught the lab. I try to save those for real emergencys though, if you get disty in your eyes flush with water for 15-20 minutes

3 Likes

@RockSteady
Yes that’s our procedure as right now as well

@Infoseeker
That sounds awful happy you’re still seeing today

1 Like

Milk would be worth a try, if the solution is diluted in solvent. My reasoning is maybe the fats dissolved in the milk would be able to dilute what’s in your eye.

1 Like

Wear those safety glasses so you don’t ever have to find out!

First thing to do would be to immediately get to an eye wash station and flush the eyes out very thoroughly. As long as it didn’t burn you on contact, and the amount wasn’t so great that the eye had trouble flushing it out on its own, it should be able to flush it out with tears.

12 Likes

@GandalfTheGreen
But what if the quantity is to large…

Everyone be sure to flush their eyewash stations every week or so, especially if it is hooked straight up to the water lines.

As long as its’ just cannabis/hemp oil then an eyewash station will be fine. Your eyes can handle getting rid of the rest.

3 Likes

You may consider a face shield for the operations where splash is a hazard. Safety training employees and providing ppe is the best measure.You will also want to spell out the correct ppe in all of your sop’s in your lab, that way the insurance company is happy.

Also like @ExTek90 mentioned, flush the eyewash stations regularly.All kinds of minerals and rust can build up in the pipes, when you depend on the eyewash you need clean water.

5 Likes

Just blink it out

2 Likes

I think the worst case scenario is particulate matter in the resin, imagine say celite 545 mixed with resin in your eyes.

Worst case scenario… Mixed with celite and heated too 180 Celsius

2 Likes

Sounds like cooked eggs to me!:eyes::fried_egg::fried_egg:

1 Like

haha maybe the procedure after superhot oil + celite gets in eyes should involve hot sauce :hot_pepper::hot_face:

1 Like

As @GandalfTheGreen said, most importantly, always wear PPE.

If you do get any foreign body in your eye, immediately flush. Dependent on how harsh the irritant is, you need to flush for up to 60 minutes. If you are using a bottled solution, tilt your head to the side and allow the solution to run into and out of your eye. Do not tilt your head backwards. If your emergency eyewash station and bottles are insufficient, place your face in a pot of water and repeatedly blink.

Also, do not rub your eyes at all. Corneal abrasions suck.

5 Likes

95% ethanol eye wash stations :sob:

Yeah get the booze to wash down the boiled eggs and hot sauce

2 Likes

This cannot be overstated. I tested our plumbed eyewash in the lab not too long ago because, well, I got an eyelash in my eye and it seemed like a good time to test the eyewash.

Some debris had somehow come thru the pope and got stuck in the right eye speaker’s nozzle, so only one side was working. Imagine if that was a real emergency!

Easy fix, just pop off the sprinkler cover and clean it out, pop it back on.

2 Likes