What is this in my CBG crude?

This CBG crude was decarbed at 140c and I noticed the sludge looking stuff baked to the edge of the glass. Does anyone have any idea what it can be?

parameters of extractions -

Ethanol extraction with a Vincent screw press.

Winterized at -65c

Bizzy bee solvent recovery

Reclaim the rest of solvent in roto

Decarb at 140 for 5-10 minutes

Then SPD.

Thanks in advance!!

1 Like

If I run it in my SPD like this it’ll turn the boiling flask to sludge and the flow starts to crawl.

This is the boiling flask after a run

Warm ethanol extraction?

It’s just above freezing.

I should say just above 0c

1 Like

It’s a combination of things, but the stuff that’s causing you the most problems are sugars. Chlorophyll also, but mainly sugars I’ll bet.

7 Likes

That’s seems likely. It clumps together pretty good in the boiling flask and slows it down. How do I get rid of sugars?

1 Like

Lower the temp of your alcohol to -65 for the extraction and it will go away.

1 Like

It’s coming from another processor to me this way. Can I remove the sugars from the crude that I have from them?

A LLE should take it out, but I have not tried it so I can’t provide details, other than to tell you sugar is soluble in water. I had the same problem and fixed it by going colder with my extraction.

3 Likes

I will second a LLE step to clean this.

I have another question though, you said this was extracted by another lab. Did you winterize it or did they claim to winterize it at -65?

2 Likes

Yes it’s from another facility. I’ve been there many times and seen the process. I have no reason to believe they are lying. Also, I filtered a sample myself, it’s definitely not fats/waxes.

1 Like

Great! just wanted to clarify. Sugars are water soluble so if you do a LLE the sugars will fall into the aqueous layer and out of your organic layer.

2 Likes

Thank you, I’m going to try an LLE. I have a feeling that’s going to be the ticket. I’ve done some reading and this is pretty indicative of screw press extraction.

1 Like

Hexane

2 Likes

Heptane :slight_smile: (I use hexane, but would like to switch)

2 Likes

I have Pentane. Do you guys think that will work? Or should I get hexane?

Here is the first LLE test I did.

Did a quick second wash test and it’s getting better.