What is the general (budget) process for making crude from trim?

Hi guys,
just wanted to clear up some gaps in my understanding on how to make crude. This is my planned process as follows.

1. Use Bucket Tek Dry Ice + EtOH extraction (the one posted by dustin) to first separate the cannabinoids and terpenes from the trim/flower
  2. Next, I’ll do a carbon scrub with CBleach as, again, outlined by Dustin in another post.

After finishing the carbon scrub and filtering through silica over a filter funnel, have I completed basically all of the steps required to make crude that is ready to be given to a toll processor to convert to distillate?

Yeah, you have the main outline, with the exception of evaporating the alchol. Then there is the task of drying it, and maintaining/storeing it.You will proably need a centifuge as well for recovering your etoh from the biomass.

4 Likes

Hi thanks for the response.
So basically at the end of the process I should be evaporating and recovering the solvent with a centifuge?
And by drying and maintain/storing are you talking about the crude? How exactly should I go about doing these things?

2 Likes

after inital maceration with your extraction solvent you will need to seporate the plant matter from the tincture. Large centifuge style “salad spinners” are used to spin dry the biomass. From there the “tincure” will need to be filtered and then evaporated. This will seporate the resin from the solvent. If your extraction solvent has picked up h20 you will need to dehydrate it.

1 Like

Ahh okay makes sense. I’m looking at salad spinners and I think I’ll get the Panda spinner. Do you know if any modifications are required to make a panda spinner ready for spinning salad right out of the box?

1 Like

U dont need anything else for the panda besides a funnel to catch the draining ethanol from the bottom. I would stitch together a mesh bag to throw your “salad” into so that its easy to get everything out of the panda when its done with the cycle.

3 Likes

Thanks Tetraguy for the info on the spinners. and thanks for helping fill in the gaps Soxhlet, i appreciate you guys :smiley:

Just to confirm before I take a leap a faith and start processing

1. Extract with solvent + dry ice
  2. Pour EtOH + trim mix into a panda spinner to separate plant matter and saturated solvent
  3. Take tincture extracted from spinner and carbon scrub it with CBleach on a mixer
  4. Pour scrubbed tincture through silica + filter funnel
  5. Use either a rotovap/still to evaporate ethanol from the tincture
  6. voila, we have crude

Does this process look complete in all the steps necessary to make crude?

3 Likes

looks good, you coud skip the c-bleach step. I dont know any crude processors that bleach their product. You might save some $ and fit in with the crowd! Let the distillation lab do the heavy lifting! you would be essentally providing dewaxed bleached crude, when other are providing crude that isn’t. This is especially true for bho crude labs. Make your price reflect your effort, don’t cut your throat to undersell the competition

2 Likes

can I get some context? What procedure was it reguarding? Quote me if you can, so i can read the post.

I dunno about you guys but when I let my dry ice sublimate there is always some nasty hairs and dirt and stuff left behind. If you know when you are going to wash I have had really good luck just keeping the trim and ethanol in the chest freezer for 3 or 4 days. I winterized with dry ice after that and the #1 whatman filter caught nothing (looked almost brand new). I did run it through syringe filters (quite painfully) which did catch stuff and made the extract cleaner looking. Honestly if you have a lab that is going to process you might increase the yield extracting at like -10 or -20 vs -80 but I’m pretty new so just speculation.

3 Likes

yeah, all cool! You can pm me about it you want.

Before you make that leap I’d advise you to get 2 sets of normal bubble bags (5 gal), get the 8 count. Then use the 73 and 90 micron bags and fill each with 1.5-2 lbs of milled trim. When pulling the bag out make sure to spin the top and get as much etho back into the pot before going into the panda. Keep the bags spun and the 2 two bags fit on each other. Run the bags for a minute in the panda, then stop it. The other 2 bags are filled and put in the pot. Pour back from the panda and restart it. Set timer for new bags, 10 min. This gives you 4 bags to work with, so while 2 are spinning you soak the other 2. This leads to continuous work. I use machine trim and put 9-12lbs through a 5 gal and lose very little etho.

Edit: i do this at -20c and keep my trim frozen from harvest. Same with the etho.

4 Likes

Oh yeah dry ice is really dirty stuff, i personally never mix the two. I usually put the material and alcochol in the freezer for 2 days then while im extracting i put the material and alcohol in a dry ice chest for 20 min before extracting in a dry ice/iso slurry sleeved column.
Just from seeing what gets left in my covered cold traps from repleneshing alot of dry ice, i definitly didnt want to get all that narly shit in my extract

3 Likes

End goal is Distillate:

Please advise, INSTEAD using of DRY ICE: 1 LB of Trim and use 1 gallon of Ethanol (i.e EVERCLEAR GRAIN ALCOHOL 190).

1. Place 1 gallon of ethanol in -20C freezer for 24 hours let say. (don’t know if necessary)
  2. Place trim into a 5 gallon bucket
  3. Pour -20 Ethanol over trim.
    4.Let soak for 1-2 min
  4. Filter out.
  5. Place Ethanol back into -20 Freezer for 24 hours
  6. Remove Filter using Buchner Filter with 20 micron quantitative paper.
  7. Place back into -20 freezer for another 24 hours.
  8. Re-filter using Buchner filter with 2.5 micron filter paper.
  9. RotaVap
  10. Distill using short path setup.
2 Likes

Dont forget to decarb before running in your short path

4 Likes

Yes, Thank you!, Just wondering if i Can get away with not using Dry ICE?

I like dry ice. It saves me 1 step, winterizing.

If you pick up too much green (which is likely at -20), a carbon scrub before distilling probably wouldn’t be a bad idea.

1 Like

Carbon cleans up a dirty looking extract. It won’t help remove chylorphyl. You need celite 545 for that.

1 Like

Well, a carbon scrub filtered through celite 545 was what I meant. I should have been more specific. I personally never get chlorophyll out with just celite, but some carbon thrown into solution before filtering has worked great. Are you able to remove chlorophyll from your tincture with just celite?