What is the best way to purge diamonds that are tiny granules with not much terp fraction?

Hello, I’m new here and have been lurking for a little while and have searched a bit but couldn’t quite find the answer to my question. I’ve got some diamonds that I made in a mason jar and read to pour off the terp fraction and purge them separately but I didn’t have much sauce to pour. I seem to have a good amount of granular diamonds but don’t know the best way to purge what I have. Do I just vac it like normal? I was planning on vacing it at 85f but I’m not sure. My apologies if this in in the wrong section.

2 Likes

If you want to separate the terps from diamonds when there’s not enough to really pour off, check out “yoc dirty diamond tek”.

If you just want it purged, there’s no reason you can’t do so with both mixed together. Usually separating them is more about decarb than purging. The diamonds themselves shouldn’t have much solvent in them and any that is in there isn’t leaving via evaporation

1 Like

Thank you. I think I prefer the “rocks and sauce” when they’re mixed together. So just vac at 85f? Full vac? Or should I vac at a little lower vacuum?

1 Like

Temp and vacuum are kind of a “personal preference” thing. I assume this is regular n-tane? The consensus seems to be that low and slow makes for better terp preservation but personally I like to try to catch the falling knife and run warmer for less time (110f under full vacuum, agitating frequently for 48 hours but I’m purging heptane).

Also, welcome to the forum

2 Likes

Yes this is regular N-tane. At least I think that’s what whipit brand tane is. (The 420ml can with the yellow top) QP of the fluff from some flo-og open blasted straight into a mason jar. I don’t have the space or the means to have a closed loop extractor at the moment. Hopefully in the future. I wanted to test the waters and make sure that I could actually get diamonds before worrying about all that. Yeah, I’ve noticed the temp changes from material to material. Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here.

1 Like

Supposedly whip it is a tri blend. Butane isobutane propane. Don’t remember exact ratio %

2 Likes

Goes without saying but blast safe. As far as purging sauce, my best advice is to turn the oil fairly frequently without whipping it, butane is pretty easy to purge. Hell, they did it forever without vacuum

1 Like

yep sure is.

also OP

vac at -15 to -25 hg and 75f-90f temp i usually go for day or so like this.

now this is after its had a hard split. the diamond ratio is basically purged but the liquid part isnt. i put diamonds and all, as the extract comes,in the vac.

6 Likes

Is tri-blend bad?

Nope. Just details for the purging. The other components (iso and propane) both have lower boiling points than n-butane, meaning the purge more easily/at a lower temp. This is generally better for terp retention

1 Like

Interesting, the more you know. I’ve got some pictures of when it started to separate. I was surprised because I didn’t think doing it the way I did was going to work but it did. I started seeing granules all over the sides of the jar and lining the bottom after only 3-4 days.

2 Likes

1 Like

if your open blasting id suggest whip it premium tri blend. using more than just butane gives u bolder spectrum of the plant. more terps and such

blended gas is good imo

5 Likes

Which can is that? Right now I’m using the 420ml one with the yellow top.

2 Likes

420ml.cans is it. i use to do about 3 per oz(cans)

a cls takes less gas which i assume is to the trickling out vs flooding out like a cls w nitro boost

2 Likes

Dang so I should use more? Right now I’m doing 2 cans per tube, my tube holds approx 2 oz. Give or take.

1 Like

My tip is this: the highest boiling point of your solvents is n-butane at 30f: purge as you see appropriate until you think it’s done, then stick it in the fridge where the tane will purge out and the terps will pretty much hang around. Weigh it going I’m and check after 12 hours to see if it’s still losing weight. Once it stops losing weight, FDA says you’re okay with a class III solvent like butane. Kinda hacky but if loss of weight is okay for OVI in real drugs…

Edit for clarity: be pretty sure the solvent is gone when you do this. Losing a gram of butane in your fridge won’t kill you, losing 100+ might

1 Like

if ur getting all ur target cannabinoids thats all that matters.

might collect what u normally run in one dish thsn after run the last of the csns to make 3 Per oz. see if there is anything reasonable worth running the extra cans. if there is reasonable amounts left run more.cans. if there is basically nothing left u got it all

dry ice was my new best friend when i started extraction. it got me the most pure clean extract ever

Thank you guys so much. I think I’m going to like it here.

2 Likes