What is the best method for nano emulsions FECO

I have read so much my eyes are crossed. I was looking at ultrasonic Homogenizer, but some say the tips will leave metal in the oil. Can anyone tell me the best method and what machine under $2,000 would improve the bioavailability. Thanks.

1 Like

Can’t help you on your question, but most won’t drop metal unless you are running at Max power. So don’t run at Max power. Also quality counts, tips can be cheaper and more prone to dropping metals or not.

Looks like a good start here.

They even have a protocol/SOP free for the viewing

1 Like

Unfortunately there is nothing that can achieve a nano-emulsion for anywhere close to your budget. The SOP calls for the following equipment:
Calibrated balance
 Weigh boats
 Spatulas
 Stir bar
 Heated stir plate
 Stir bar retriever
 Overhead homogenizer
 Calibrated thermometer / thermometer gun
#Q700CA Sonicator system
 Compressed air with inlet/outlet
 Ice bath: composition can vary based on user preference
 .45-micron filter
 .22-micron filter
 Pipettes
Even buying the cheapest Chinese equipment you will be well over your budget.

There are several good threads here on CBD emulsions with a wealth of infromation

1 Like

Hey @ShearGuy, we have been playing with some different gums and starches using our Polytron 3000 as an alternative to nanoemulsions - these hydrocolloids are basically tasteless.

The issue we are running into is viscosity. They’re really thick and tend to stick to the storage container walls. How do you deal with this? We also have issues with modified gums (like TICAmulsion from TIC gums) foaming up in the HS mixer, which makes complete oil incorporation challenging.

We tried further processing them on the sonicator, which produces a much finer emulsion with reduced viscosity, but we can’t get the particle size to an acceptable level for filtration.

Can you tell me a bit more about the formula? Ratio of water to gum to extract etc. Its best to mix the gums with water at a lower speed and then let the gum and water mixture sit for at least an hour before the next step.

Thanks for the tip, I guess I’ll need to wait after hydrating. I thought I could get away with not waiting if I hydrated using her hs mixer.

I have tried 20% gum Arabic to 10% oil, of which 5% is MCT and 5% is CBD. I also tried 12% modified gum Arabic to 10% oil, of which 8% is MCT and 2% is CBD. All of them are equally viscous.

1 Like