What is best for Industrial CBD extraction, CO2 or ethanol wash?

First post, need some help, what is the best method to extract CBD from hemp?

There are a lot of variables that have to be considered to answer this question. What is your maximum allowable limits for each solvent, required refrigerants, and solvents/chemicals used in post processing? What is your desired throughput? End product? Budget? Team size? Facility size/location (influences question #1)? length of work day/days operating? Continuous or batch operation? Available power? Depth of knowledge on extraction? Working understanding of pre/post processing to deal with the shortcoming of either approach? How quickly are you needing to be operational? The short answer is Ethanol the long answer, it depends on your situation. I’m more then happy to help you figure it all out. DM me if you want to discuss further. Otherwise keep using the search bar and read like crazy. There is a lot to learn and even more to read :wink:

1 Like

What’s the best for a lean outfit just starting out?

Ethanol is likely the easiest to get up and running but there are several factors to consider that may make CO2 a better option. For pure speed/throughput Ethanol is the winner.

1 Like

Ethanol is extremely scalable and versatile while co2 is not.

Co2 has its uses, I’m planning on using a hybrid system at some point- co2 is fantastic for terpene capture but you don’t need a supercritical unit to do that- pretty sure you can put together a subcritical terpene extractor for extremely cheap compared to the supercrit units and get the best of both worlds by combining etoh extraction post subcritical co2 terp strip but that’s just like a hunch

6 Likes

Can you elaborate a little further on your hunch? I assume you have an idea in mind.