What does seeding to make diamonds exactly mean?

Ive read seeding to make bigger diamonds in so many threads but can not find out what seeding exactly is through all the search channels.

Would appreciate any help, thank you!

It’s technically a crystal. This technique has been done for many years with crystalline mixtures.

5 Likes

Hi,
Adding a seed crystal can promote larger crystals. What seeding does is give the solution a nucleation point, this nucleation point allows the solution to start forming crystals before getting saturated to the point where it precipitates.If the mix precipitates you will end up with small sugary crystals full of inclusions. The goal is to keep the saturation of the solution in the meta stable zone where crystals will grow at a controlled rate vs crashing out of solution.

1. If you would like to try seeding select several crystals you have from previous runs, or you can buy a gram of sauce at a dispensary.

2. clean the crystals surface by wiping them with a filter paper and set them aside. You will want 4-6 good ones if you can.

3. take your somewhat reduced resin/solvent mix and place it in a ice chest with dry ice to knock down the pressure so you can open the lid of the jar/ miner. this will take 10-15 min or so, you can confirm by pressing/ flexing on the lid of the jar to feel if there is still pressure in
    the jar.

4. drop one of your seed crystals into the solvent/ resin mix, close the lid and place back in to the oven or wherever your keeping your jars warm.

5. observe the seed, if it dissolves your saturation is too low. Let more solvent evaporate and repeat step 3 and 4 until you your seed can exist at the bottom of the jar/ miner.When you reach this point your solution is super saturated and will have a nice place to nucleate.

6. leave jar alone, don’t move it around if you can. burp the vessel once per day until no more pressure builds, after this point the crystals are done forming and the product can be purged of residual solvents.

What this method does is allow you to approach saturation in a controlled way. I hope this helped.

10 Likes

‘Typically the same material’

Could one seed with other crystals? Like an actual diamond? Or quartz?

Would a resonant frequency do anything here?

1 Like

Dust works…not sure you’d want diamond or quartz inclusions.

And see: Sonocrystallization

1 Like

By why would you want your crystals growing around something you don’t want to smoke?

Seed with a THCA diamond (and it will become a bigger one)

2 Likes

Right I remember that thread, the no mp3 part specifically…I’ll re read it.

I don’t know, stoner thought.

It said ‘typically’ so i said hmm?

1 Like

Here comes another brain buster: Is it ok to put quartz in a quartz banger?

So is it true you can seed from outside the jar with mother liquor? You can put a diamond outside the mother liquor jar, but touching it, and the diamonds will start growing there?

They make quartz balls that spin around and spinner caps for quartz bangers. It would be no issue, I just don’t think you want a diamond that doesn’t melt all the way.

Grandfather clocks in the same room will synch up.

Not happening

2 Likes

Yeah rubies and stuff. People get real heady with it.

Did you try the obvious one?!?

https://www.google.com/search?q=seed+crystal

The seed needs to be in the solution, not on the outside of the jar.

1 Like

they will also go out of sync too, just like turn signals… they start random, then appear to start to sync, then go out of sync. Its is kind of like a bunch of metronomes that are slightly out.

2 Likes

My buddy has used samples from those boxes that click clock at crosswalks to make some insane music.

2 Likes

Somebody liked the old post about music from crosswalk signals, but, yes the pendulums will synch up. I’ll find the thing I read…

Sorry to revive an old thread haha

Christiaan huygens?

Https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.170777

Not that it’s relevant I guess hahha

1 Like