What do you use as your filtration media? CRC

Also for the record I am packing on top of a 3 micron filter and have two stacks with 1 micron glass microfiber filters and STILL getting lots of powder through.

1 Like

How are filters held down? @moldynug

2 Likes

For a 4x48 column I use 100g each of t5, silica and activated alumina. I’m not really going for water clear though. Just a nice light, live resin yellow. Although I have gotten some clear slabs.
And the smoothness of the dab is definitely noticeable @sonicgardens

6 Likes

Like going to a 4 year program at a local University and telling them just to make it a 6 month course? There’s always the buy a golden spoon option if your not ready to read. :man_shrugging:

10 Likes

Thank you very much @Gumby !!! Youre the shit

2 Likes

Pictures 1 and 2 are of the same paper, just zoomed in. You can see a tear in the top of the filter.

Pictures 3 and 4 are of another paper. There are no obvious gashes in the paper but it seem like the integrity of the paper has been jeopardized by the pressure created from the clamp.

I have been clamping them in between the spool and the gasket. The pressure from the clamp seems to be disturbing the paper.

1 Like

What are those metal beads and where can I buy some?

@Crash

2 Likes

I can’t remember what they’re called but every time I’ve seen a photo of them in use they’re caked with lipids. I’d definitely like to try some out as well

I was told metal scrubbies work too but don’t know about the quality of them with subzero solvents

1 Like

Scrubbies were something I looked into recently. Couldnt get an answer on the type of stainless. If anyone can point me in the right direction if they have done this. Ill have an easier time deciding what I should pick here

2 Likes

Shit for $33 I’d go with the distillation packing and not have to worry about any sort of leaching from the scrubbies. I’m about to order some of those right now. Amazon for the win

4 Likes

They definitely help when dewaxing. Havent tried with crc yet. But its small amount in pack so id order a few @Gumby

3 Likes

Jesus, man.

I’m running at smallest a 5um filter and I don’t get any powders through. I just pack DE on the bottom (larger pore size) and that prevents anything from getting through even at high pressures.

EDIT

Just noticed you’re using paper filters. Buy a 5um steel gasket. I think Glacier sells some. I bought the reinforced one and it works fantastically.

2 Likes

Been using SS304 scrubbies with great success for 3+ years, roll a sheet up tight so it fits into a 2" spool have always used them beneath material column (& above CRC spool for the last few months) I think it not only helps catch waxes & lipids but also gives the solution more headspace&contact time within CRC without touching material collumn )

Little pyrex jar with ISO to clean them just like SS bearings in the bottom of my dewax (Tried packing few lbs of bearins in the scrubbies place a few times and don’t feel they have near the filter surface area/however do help keep solution colder as more contact with column walls)

2 Likes

its called SPP, Spiral Prismatic packing, most of it comes from eastern bloc I guess

Buy from ebay, way cheaper, also you can build a rig that will make it from SS wire pretty easily.

5 Likes

Go 4 it condense it and we read😁

1 Like

Damn. Why have i not been taking screenshots? :man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like