Make a Round body out of thin plastic or plastic coated karton with duck tape
Place Bucket on karton
Put vaseline on all parts You don t want the consrruction foam to stick to
Spray construction insulation foam in between let dry 24 hours
Cut exess foam of and done

8 Likes

Love the DIY!

Thanks for the tip. I should have left over foam from.when I sprayed my walls

Half 55 gallon drums stainless work well also. Easy to pull in and out and the shape keeps things cold evenly being almost as tall as wide

13 Likes

4” grinder and cutoff wheel. $40 craigslist keg. Took me 30 minutes, including polishing the rough edges with a flapper wheel after cutting.

6 Likes

BIG believer in kegs :shushing_face:

Not a big believer in 10” triclamp on the bottom. (Reasoning elsewhere. Repeatedly).

Which is why this one is upside down.

Getting cannabis out even with a 10” hole was non-trivial. Way easier than unmodified :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

10” MK III lid repurposed for EtOH

@Photon_noir and I have a 25 page Ethanol Extraction White Paper if you wanna know what we think we’ve figured out…

8 Likes

Oh shit! I want to make one of those! Looks like it was tig welded onto the bottom of the keg? Was that to hook up a tri-clamp to drain it from what was originally the top?

It put the cannabis in the keg.
And then pours on the solvent.
It drains the solvent fast as can.
And does it all in freezers.

6” on top. Which was “stock” from my local guy. Synergy brewing. Although I insisted on putting the prv on the keg, not the 6” cap so it could not be assembled sans prv. Which was problematic for the prv when used in this config.

Added a 10” hole in the bottom. Because I had 10” caps. From my terp days. Not a good idea. Just fits on the top. I think. haven’t tried it.

Cannabis still took work to remove. Shaking the keg was not osha approved, nor super effective. But a weapon from above into a collection basket worked well enough.

When done at -80c in a freezer (fits 3) filtration could take forever and still yield golden extract. At -40C you have to stage your filtration correctly or you get undetsirables. At -20, you need a fuge imo.

5 Likes

Just checked out their website. Brilliant idea for a fermenter. Pretty nifty for cannabis tambien. I wonder if a mash-stand type setup would make transferring to a centrifuge easier? Wouldn’t be hard to insulate instead of doing it all in a freezer. Unless you’re just talking about chilling the etoh in the freezer?

1 Like

conical fermenter
double jacketed

There should be pumps that will handle that slurry. My next trick is “pillow cases” into a Bock 755 sourced off eBay.

Says right on the label I can over drive it by 10% and our stuff is fluffier, so the VFD upgrade should pay for itself immediately.

Cannot be flooded

Controller I’m replacing appears actual bomb proof. 1/2” thick cast enclosure

4 Likes

3 Likes

What’s the function of the lid?

What do you need the function to be?

Is multi-tool. That was lying around.

Or perhaps more honestly is was the only non-flat 10” cap I had. So it was the only way I could use that warped 10” flange.

I filtered into it using vacuum. Either raw tincture pre solvent recovery, or formulated in MCT & ready to be dispensed. There are specific features of a MK III that made it quite useful for that task.

1 Like

I was just curious because of the complexity of the lid. Basically spare parts ?

1 Like

Hey there @cyclopath , can you give me your opinion on these pre-assembled kegs :

https://www.glaciertanks.com/yeast-brinks.html

yeah. I buy two today if they were in stock.

what do you need to know?
I prefer a 6" hole on the top. I’ve found the lower port useful. and is also gets in the way.

they are not pre-assembled. all you get it the holey keg.

building the right lids is key.

The only reason I’d buy two today is that these lids would fit…

1 Like

Well, I was wondering if the 1.5" bottom hole was adequate enough for draining?

They have these: https://www.glaciertanks.com/tri-clamp-fittings-tank-weld-ferrules-14mpw-g600.html , which I imagine can be used to install a top 6" port & bottom, eh? I assumed they can be sunk to whatever depth is desired, too? Do you know?

I haven’t found an 8" ferrule yet…

Can use one of these to assist filling through the 4" hole:

https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/8-x-4-triclamp-hopper.html

Are you planning to extract in it? Then no, that 1.5” drain will not make you happy.

They are great for moving solvent & tincture around, but unless you’re using mesh bags (which will be hard without chopping the top off), filtering out of them is an acquired skill.

I used to let mine drip dry for several days

Yes, for extraction vessels. Thanks for your advice!

So, it’s in my best interest to build my own that have at least a 6" bottom drain?