What can i do with....

500 kilos of winterized hemp crude CBD is 48% and THC is 17%.

Need advice.

2 Likes

Maybe try and convert the remaiming thc into cbn and dilute remaining thc til your under 0.3 % and have legal substance

2 Likes

Can you tell me how to do this?

From my personal experience i know heat will turn it into cbn which if im not mistaken is a red hue to it. I think i may have saw somethong about UV light able to also convert im sure someone else can give more advice on thag or maybe try the search engine lot of good stuff already here just may not be a recent subject

Seeing the amount conccerned
A small investment with an expert chemist like @Photon_noir or @QGA
Would be your bestoption
Only If You are sure that there are No other problems such as pesticides and heavy metals
Not realy a batch size to F *^%~< up

3 Likes

It can be saved by distillation and subsequent isolation of CBD via a few recrystallizations.

@Bluewaffle Just so you know, CBN is actually colorless, like THC and CBD. The red color is a co-occuring oxidation of other compounds in the distillate, often phosphatides like lecithin. It’s a common assumption, because we almost always see higher CBN levels in the reddest materials. One other thing to know is that CBD is actually more reactive than THC… so typically any reactions we might attempt to convert THC in a mixture with CBD to CBN or something else, will almost always result in the CBD converting faster… so much or even all of the CBD will be transformed by the time the reaction energy is high enough to transform the THC. Sorry to be a bummer, but all is not lost. There are other fairly simple means of purification. :blush:

5 Likes

@mysport: +1 on the buy a clue.

I recommend a couple of days on site consulting.
there are dozens of folks around here that could offer that service.

it should cost you less than (the price of) a kg of those 250kg of pure CBD you’ve got waiting to happen.
well worth the price of admission.

also +1 on @QGA.
he knows his stuff, and won’t steer you wrong.

5 Likes

Lecitin having red color? What about this chemical structure would emit wavelenths of light in the red spectrum. Not much conjugation contained in that specific molecule maybe another unidentified fatty acid with increased conjugation may make more sense according to woodwords rules. The fact the rings in the cbn tricycle are in conjugation in one another as well as the increased levels of cbn lead to a more red color apparently must be a coincidence according to your hypothesis. I have read the old papers auggesting cbn is colorless which provides evidence to your argument, however I think some spectral data would clear this up.

2 Likes

All i know is ive overgeated a slab before and watched it go from nice twllow golden color to very redish hue in seconds i watched it convert or i watched somethinh happen for that matter

Yes we understand when you heat cannabis extracts it turns red, our concern is why does it turn red, which chemical is emitting light in that spectrum

1 Like

perhaps not definitive, but certainly indicative.

3 Likes

Yes, it also seems like if any cannabinoid is the best candidate for color it is cbn because of its aromatic rings.

If anyone is interested in the phenomenon it is how the old schools used to characterize molecules using the woodward fieser rules. Then those goregous physicists came along to bless us with NMR.

4 Likes

Hmm wonder If You awnsered the right member :grinning:

point taken.

but if you’d rather I didn’t agree with you, you’ll have to start posting nonsense :wink:

2 Likes

I looked into it, too, thinking the same thing: conjugated benzene rings must be the photon-wavelength-changing system. Apparently not, regardless of what we have both learned about chromophores. Look at biphenyl (phenylbenzene), which is the conjugated benzene-benzene system in CBN:

On the other hand, lecithin specifically has very little conjugation, and I am not sure of it’s mode of oxidation in air, but I have seen various lecithins in non-polar carriers like oil turn brownish red from a pale gold color over time in air.

Now, I know that cannabis phosphatides are likely present in different ratios than those in soy, for example, and by “lecithin” I mean “phosphatides” in general; I just use the word lecithin because people are more familiar with it and hopefully its antioxidant properties.

I can only guess, for now, what moieties and whole molecules of phosphatidylcholine and other phosphatides are present in distillates of cannabinoids, but I do believe they are there, since citric, phosphoric, oxalic acids, and degumming enzymes all seem to have a precipitative effect on some compounds in solutions of distillate, indicating the presence of phosphatides. Also, performing a thorough degumming sometimes rids the distillate of whatever is turning red.

That said, I also think there are other compounds at work in the discoloration of distillate, such as anthocyanins, or something like them. I am less certain about this than I am about phosphatide moieties, but both are still unknowns until we can get more thorough testing done on our products.

1 Like

I often post nonsense but with a twist of truth… Genius and stupidity are tough to differentiate fully I think… A careful melding of the two is my secret to success!

Thoughts? :nerd_face:

7 Likes

When do you need it processed by? We are currently setting up a facility to make CBD broad spectrum out of THC containing hemp oils, operations begin February. Broad spectrum gets a much better price than isolate.

Sooner the better.

Can you give me a number to contact you?

How do i do that. Is it worth the money spent on having someone do it. If so, can you recommend someone?