What best ration nutrient for high vpd?

hello I grow with a high vpd in ebb n flow substrat mapito rock wool and foam pe air echange intra extra no co2 light hps 600w
flowering recipe: ec 1,8
N 110 P35 k236 Ca 150 mg 35 fe 2 mn 0.9
I have good results 1.2g/w but I think I can improve it with your science
Thank

I would stay the course personally. You could run a little less potassium but you have a low ec and lower nitrogen and potassium so I would just irrigate more often instead of raising ec.

1 Like

I didn’t know they still made 600 watt hps. If you’re not going to switch to led lighting, the next best thing would be to add a 250 or 400 watt metal halide bulb to the hps for the sake of spectrum improvement. You’ll probably have to switch to led eventually, as I’m not sure these old bulbs will be around forever.

1 Like

High VPD implies high transpiration rates, which means that the water use efficiency of the plants is low. This means you need to run low EC values, higher K:Ca and lower B. Your current composition is in the right direction. However to know how to better dial your solution you will need leaf tissue analysis.

2 Likes

Thanks Daniel
low boron and increase k ca
K 270 ca 200

Your current K:Ca is 1.57, K 270 with Ca 200 would give you a K:Ca of 1.35. This would be a move in the wrong direction. By K:Ca I mean the K/Ca ratio. So increase the amount of K in proportion to Ca.

2 Likes

Thank Ok @danielfp
K270 ca 172

I did this in my free time
I tried to clone Athena with my tap water

Thank hydrobuddy @danielfp

Great to see you’re using HydroBuddy! Thanks for your support!

Bear in mind that Athena’s real chemical makeup is quite different from their label. Make sure you use chemical analysis of the actual fertilizer to copy it if this is what you want to do.

1 Like

I have to lower P to 40 ppm and increase k to 270 ppm?

Ricogrow,

This is the only publicly available chemical analysis of Athena bloom solution that I’m aware of.

There are two different samples listed for redundancy.

Be aware that this was posted by @Medicine.grower over two years ago so things might have changed since then.

1 Like

The problem with these samples is that these are fully mixed nutrients and the mixing rates are not known with enough precision. This makes establishing the original composition of the sources much harder.

When I tell people to do these analysis I always have them send the concentrated inputs for analysis (what you get from mixing a 55 gal barrel at 2 lbs/gal) this way we can easily reconstruct the solid composition. This is what I would recommend you do if you’re interested in reverse engineering any solid nutrient brand that is used to create liquid concentrates.

1 Like

Hi
I will follow your advice @danielfp

N110
p 35
K 270
Ca 172
Mg 40
Iron 2
Mn 1