What are your bag and tag procedures

Hello all,

I’m curious how everyone goes about bagging and tagging large quantities of dry or fresh frozen material for extraction/distillation? Considering I am using this material for distillate production or sauce production, I will be concentrating it so I am worried that testing the flower samples is not even enough. What do you all do in these situations especially if I have to travel more than 5 hours to vet the material? Go to the site, pull samples from every bag and tag them, take it to a hotel room and hit it with a mini rosin press, then drive it to a lab for an expedited R&D while you wait in a hotel room? (I’d really like to avoid this walking the grey-line shit). Am I overthinking this and a regular pesticide test on the flower is enough? Would love to hear how you guys do this.

Thanks,
Butane

1 Like

Orange photonics makes a pretty awesome UV tester that can be used for trim. Doesn’t test for contaminants but can tell you pretty accurate percentages as far as cannabinoid content, at 15k its a great investment if you’re doing any kind of extraction at scale.

2 Likes

Sounds like a very appropriate biomass prescreen to me. Little confused by the thread title. It’s not the bagging or the tagging that seem like the issue here.

To me its more about the number & representative nature of your samples, and how you have them processed.

If you’re sampling supersacks, there are tools designed for getting that sample as a “core”.

The biggest unknown is will a “hotel room squish” give a decent representation of the eventual hydrocarbon extraction? Or even one that is more sensitive than just testing the biomass?

Don’t know. That may require testing/validation. Open blasting would, but we all know that’s not the correct response here.

I do know that my favorite lab would do a more sensitive test for pre-extraction biomass if you asked for it…the tests usually performed are deliberately set up so that the limit of quantification is only a hair lower that the legal limit. The last thing a producer wants is a COA that has numbers next to stuff they don’t want to see. So labs don’t look that hard unless you pay them to.

It’s relatively easy to set this up with a single lab, traveling to a new town and trying to set that up AND get results tomorrow seems like a less trivial problem.

If it really is the bagging/tagging that is your big issue, then using barcoded sample bags and a DIY database to keep track of things might be worthwhile

1 Like

In our facility upon receiving the source we verify weights. We then place source into vacc seal bags but before we seal we pinch a portion of each strain from each bag and place in a beaker. If it’s fresh froze weplace in freezer, if it’s dry we place in cage. Now the source in the beaker we add acetone to it and pour into a Pyrex dish which gets placed on a hot plate to evaporate and we test the left over resin. If tests come out clean we process if not we simply return to provider.

Open blast, open blast! Lol

2 Likes