What are the regulations for hemp processing lab inside of California?

What are the regulations for starting a hemp processing facility in California? We would like to use hydrocarbons and ethanol Does it need to be type 7 licensed cannabis facility? Or can it be an unlicensed facility with c1d1 spaces? Do we need to work with our local fire marshall? Thanks guys in advance!

2 Likes

I offer consultation on jurisdictional and state regulations and permit/license procurement

3 Likes

Type 6 for ethanol extraction and a type 7 for volatile gas extraction in CA. Remember if you set up a Type 7 you can then do all aspects of the license type below the type you set up. For instance, if you set up a Type 7 you can then do all aspects of a type 6, N, and P.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CEH/DFDCS/MCSB/Pages/LicensingFAQs.aspx

5 Likes

Some jurisdictions allow Type 7, some don’t. Some allow Type 7, yet have approved none. Some are open to Type 7, if persuaded. It’s very much jurisdictional.

3 Likes

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CEH/DFDCS/MCSB/Pages/LicensingFAQs.aspx

" If the CBD in your products comes from a cannabis plant, you will need a license from our office to conduct commercial cannabis manufacturing. However, CBD from industrial hemp is not regulated under the state’s cannabis regulatory framework.

The California Department of Food & Agriculture’s Industrial Hemp Advisory Board has some information on the current state laws surrounding industrial hemp and a list of FAQs on their website."

Some towns don’t allow cannabis licenses or processing but allow hemp processing.

3 Likes

Yes and in terms of hemp, you can get away with much that doesn’t fly in cannabis. For now…I’ve witnessed dozens of stop work orders being issued by fire marshals around Cali recently. And I’ve seen GMP certified hemp facilities literally go up in flames from lack of basic safety protection engineering that would never fly in cannabis…

4 Likes

So many pitfalls yet equal amount of loopholes

2 Likes

Approximate cost??

In REGARDS TO HEMP. I am unaware of any operators using hydrocarbons as primary processing solvent. Alcohol is a no-brainer as far as obtaining MOST fire marshal’s blessings. What county, city and district for proposed facility?

1 Like

We are going to be marketing high quality smokable hemp extract hence the need for hydrocarbons.

This will be based out of Nevada county, Grass valley or Nevada city

the hemp facilities I’ve been inside of in CA are not at all like a cannabis facilities. basically all of the equipment shoved into different corners of a large warehouse. not even c1d2.

1 Like

I’m sure there’s nicer ones out there though.

1 Like

That’s comforting… we plan to go gmp as well, we want to be a good example as we would be the first hemp processor in this county

2 Likes

I’m in sac and I have a lot of hydrocarbon experience. I’m doing independent consulting atm. I’ve never fooled around with hemp and hydrocarbons, if you want another perspective id be down to see if I could help. sounds like a cool opportunity.

2 Likes

@NorCal Absolutely my experience as well…I have seen the whole spectrum of operations. I happen to be 1 of the regional inspectors for this forum and have visited a litany of facilities up and down the West coast.

@Intergalactic engage me in the DMs and I’ll email you regulatory language directly related to your situation

4 Likes

So multiple labs went through the trouble and cost to get an outside certification agency to do a GMP audit but couldn’t prevent catastrophic fires?
I mean, what does that say about GMP certs? That people with zero ability to take safety precautions are able to be certified that they take the publics safety seriously by providing consistent, uncontaminated product?

5 Likes

Definitely will be a cool! I’ll keep ya in the loop we have lots of experience in hydrocarbons but maybe you can come up and do some r&d! Or if you have other ideas on how you can help dm me! Group projects are the best projects! @Mosaic_Co-Labs dming now!

2 Likes

Certs are only as good as the people doing the work. You can lay out the best of plans, but if they will be followed… thats up to your employees when youre not around

3 Likes

My first job as a bio-manufacturing operator paid $13/hr with benefits in a fully GMP facility doing phase I/II production. I was crushed and I ended up taking three more jobs in GMP or GMP like operations before moving to cannabis/hemp ($18/hr, ND; $21/hr;CA). The point is that GMP trained college labor is cheap if you can find it and convince them to make the move. The only thing they know is paperwork and rules - you just gotta sprinkle some distillation and winterization skills on them.

4 Likes

I agree :100:
My partner and I started Mosaic Co-Labs with every intention of incorporating as many members of this community as possible

3 Likes