Weird separation/crystallization in THC carts

I’m getting some really weird separation/crystallization from THC distillate filled carts. There’s probably 5% terpenes added at most. Anyone have any idea why this could be happening? Do I need to mix terpenes with the distillate longer? or is this due to too much water in the carts? They look homogenous light yellow clear when I fill them and start to crystallize after a few days sitting out/being smoked.

Wheres the water coming from?

2 Likes

more information required…

did you make the distillate?
what exactly did you cut it with?
how did you mix them?

2 Likes

You might be getting cbd distillate bud

2 Likes

My buddy had it made from all of his dark BHO…
Cut with some steam terps I made which I think could be the culprit. I dried the final product with MgSO4.
I mixed the distillate and the terpenes by hand with a glass stir rod over a hot water bath (not boiling) for probably two minutes. Everything seemed well mixed to the naked eye. It doesn’t crackle when hit.
Could the distillate still have THC-A in it, i.e. not have been fully decarbed during distillation? Is that possible? Or is water more likely the cause? No streaking in the distillate jar so I think if there is water it came from the terps or hot water bath.
No cut besides the small amount of terpenes used.

There’s definitely THC in there as I’ve tried it orally and it gets me blasted.

did you cut all of it?

or could you repeat with store bought terps (free samples are available from vendors here. just search) to prove that the problem is water in your terps?

did you filter out the mgso4 properly

I just cut a bit of it which went into carts. I will replicate with some floraplex terpenes and see if it does the same thing. Could it be from the carts themselves? Like ceramic dust? They’re convectium carts if that helps.

@Apothecary36 I believe so…the terps looked clear as well with no separation…but they’ve been sitting in the fridge for a month or so in a vial so they could have picked up some water from condensation.

I really appreciate all of the help!

i think water would be on top not on bottom

2 Likes

it looks to me like the clouding is at the top of the carts…

3 Likes

crystallization will happen on the bottom.
this is your terps/cutting agent not being homogenized enough.

2 Likes

So mix the terps and disty for longer to homogenize? Or homogenize the terps before adding to the distillate? How long/hot would you recommend mixing?

how are you ‘mixing’
to properly do this you’ll need a high shear or ultrasonic mixer.

2 Likes