Weird ethanol extract occurrence

Let me first state I’m not the willbilly with the bluetech. I have done a heated double alcohol extract many a time in Washington back in the medical days to make rso. A large stainless pot filled with 190 proof alcohol and biomass covered with a tight fitting metal bowl full of ice, boiled for one hour, then strained and evaporated to a useable consistency. Hill tech.

Ive been doing this with Hemp, and had a strange event where I got a little lazy , caught the extract on fire, and then put the fire out with high ph water (8.9). It seems that this reaction may have caused all the CBD to convert to d9 thc. Has anyone heard of this happening, or something like it?

Yes I was outside :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

explain more clearly what caught fire…
the original extract during “boiling” phase
or the rso concentrated extract

how long did it burn?
what does “may have caused” cbd to D9…did you get a COA done…?

1 Like

RSO in the evaporation phase, caught fire for about 30 seconds. The extract COA shows mostly thc d9 , hemp biomass was typical CBD ratios.

2 Likes

Sounds like we got a new willybilly Tek

Never tried basic isomerization, but now I’m mildly/wildly fascinated

Why did you put out the fire with high pH?

8 Likes

Post that coa up so these guys can take a look, may help to understand what happened

4 Likes

I want a play-by-play so that others can learn (or unlearn).

Hill tech. :face_with_thermometer:

6 Likes

Glad you were following Ricks advise and boiling your ethanol off outside.

You don’t mention a rice cooker, what was your heat/ignition source?

When you say “high pH water” what exactly do you mean by that?

2 Likes

There is a possibility the lab mixed your sample up.
First confirm that what you have in the JAR is D9.
No matter how disqusting smoking RSO may seem, if it is
D9 and you smoke it , you should get high as a rat…bioassay
and confirm…please. Evap enough to make up 3 good hits.
Then those who are most familiar with the conversion chemistry
can give it a go.

3 Likes

Can’t he just boof it?

2 Likes

By all means please set your cbd crude on fire.

6 Likes

My well water comes out at 8.9, embarrassingly I don’t know which mineral causes that

2 Likes

:joy:indeed. Im a Small Direct to Consumer flower producer who utilizes every part of the plant

1 Like

Good point. Ive certainly had “19% THC” returned on 16% CBD flower.

Didn’t strike me as a mistake at the time… seemed like the lab simply pulled their numbers from thin air. (Pretty sure they were shut down for such nonsense eventually).

1 Like

Antidotal evidence, as well as lab results suggested there was some THC content. All of this extract went into gummies, which is what was tested by the lab, and still tested below the .3% dry weight for thc compliance but the strange part is it registered no CBD.

Hope there is some truth to this because LOL! JedClampetek 2.0

Base-catalyzed cyclization… HillTek…

1 Like

Electric burner with a 3 gallon stainless pot. High ph well water, maybe 3 cups in volume.

1 Like

Literally just shows .07 % d9 thc, no other cannabinoids

Willbilly11:Are we assuming you have CBDA in primary RSO-ethanol
or CBD??? WTF are you talking about…

Everyone realizes that with an alcohol lamp, the wick basically doesn’t burn. I have heard of people evaporating solvent
by lighting it on fire.
Moreover, the pH of 8.9 is really nothing…in water tek pH values of 11.5-13 are used all the time.

this whole story seems so fucked up…it is not worth discussing.

You’ve got gummies with nothing in them now?

How much CBD were you expecting?

Typical 15% biomass CBD Hemp was boiled in 190 proof grain alcohol, using the "condensation " tech of a tight fitting metal bowl and Ice water. It was boiled for 30 minutes, strained through coffee filters, and then open boiled over an electric griddle. Caught fire about half way through evaporation, for about 30 seconds. Then 8.9ph water was used to put the fire out, and then put the extract in a slow cooker to finish evaporating.The finished product(gummies)showed no cbd or cbda, and only .7% d9, no d9a.

I apologize, I haven’t used this forum style in a long time.

1 Like