Ways/method to minimize d10?

After accidentally converting d9 first pass distillate to d8 thru an improper AC scrub (didn’t check pH, or some AC made it thru DE during filtration and into my SPD), I am now curious and looking for a way(s) to isomerize d9 into d8 with minimum d10 isomerization. This initial accidental isomerization resulted in 73% d8, 6% d9, and what I’m assuming is a currently unknown, but not insignificant amount of d10 (waiting for lab to send me chromatogram). From what I’ve read on here distilling with T41 produces a lot of d10 or what is suspected to be d10. I have T5, T41, AC, and magsil. My plan is to systematically vac distill over various weight percents to hopefully find a method that produces high d8 but minimum d10 starting with d9 distillate (and crude). I was hoping someone could help save me some time by helping me narrow down the adsorbents and the correct ratio of d9 to adsorbent. Tomorrow will be trying T5 at 5% w/w and AC 5% w/w. Will post all the results in this series of experiments.

Update:

So far I have tried two attempts to make d8 using 5% (w/w) of AC and T5. Results below. I’m using integration ratio values to determine the % of mystery peak which I’m assuming is d10. Since there is no calibration standard, this isn’t totally accurate, but whatever.

AC:

67.7% d8
7.2% d9
10.4% d10
87.8% total cannabinoids (including d10 and d8)

T5:

61.4% d8
15.8% d9
11.8% d10
91% total cannabinoids (including d10 and d8)

Any one else who has tried distilling over AC and T5, are these results similar to what you have seen? Any one have any tips for improving this (maximizing d8 and minimizing d9 and d10)? I have some T41 which I’ll be trying next as well as some Lewis acids. Also thinking I might redo these previous experiments refluxing over the AC / clay for a few hours prior to distilling.

Has anyone observed 0% d9 after an isomerization?

Have you tried distilling this crude with no absorbents in the flask?

The d10 could be coming from something in the material or a high PH

Yes, I have distilled the same crude (1st pass distillate) material with nothing else in the boiling flask. Results from that:

81.4% d9
0% d8
91.8% total cannabinoids

No mystery peak (d10) present.

this doesnt really work without knowing your response factor. curves are second order after all. i believe those numbers are only a disservice

1 Like

Yeah I know, but it’s all I have to go on unfortunately for trying to find a way to minimize the amount of d10.