Water Soluble Surfactant

Does anyone know of any good surfactants to use with our Extract for water soluble. Also is there a way to get rid of the aftertaste of the water.

Polysorbate 80, q naturale, monosodium palmitate, maltodextrin

Literally dilute cherry extract from the grocery store and throw it into the pot.

2 Likes

Do you know the recipe on how much to use with 250 grams of isolate?

Quillaja extract is awful for taste

4 Likes

Not too bad in my experience. A million times better than polysorbate

3 Likes

Q nat looks terrible and tastes terrible. You have to play with ratios so it’s acceptable.

2 Likes

Playing around with the ratios also affects the stability of the emulsions, there’s tons of other saponins out there, ginseng has a bunch but their hlb is low making them good for w/o emulsions, I’m going to look up aloe since they got a bunch too.

5 Likes

I hear gum Arabic works well.

Edit: Derp, that’s an emulsifier.

Cardamon oleoresin is in my experience the best as it tastes ok. The downside is that the taste is noticable sweet/spicy and will affect your formulation. But at least it’s not so unpalteable like polysorbate or q.

Rhamnolipids

1 Like

All these papers are related to saponins, shout out to my professor of this secondary metabolites class I’m taking for all these great references
The saponin polar isoprenoids.pdf (169.3 KB) Molecular activities, biosynthesis and evolution of triterpenoid saponins.pdf (1.8 MB) Metabolic and functional diversity of saponin.pdf (3.7 MB)

2 Likes

Has anyone had luck with Snedds?

And Yes, Rhamnolipids would be amazing if they weren’t $400 per 10mg.
(To be fair I don’t have a grasp on the quantity of Rhamnolipids necessary to self-emulsify 1kg of CBD for example).

Going along with this topic, has anyone tried extraction using surfactants
I found this regarding vegetable oil
Pilot Scale Study of Vegetable Oil Extraction by Surfactant-Assisted Aqueous Extraction Processdo2011.pdf (468.1 KB)

You can use bitter blockers but they can be hit or miss depending on the emulsifier you go with. What equipment are you working with?

We have a nano emulsifier from I sonometrics or something like that. We use there surfactant

Are you trying to go super natural?

??? What do u mean