Water soluble aromatics?

Got a puddle of what seems to be stinky water. Details follow. Thoughts?

So, I was out here doing a consult and the facility was running without a molecular sieve. In their solvent tanks they’d been collecting what appeared to be water as an immiscible liquid pool that’d settled to the bottom of the vessels. Further supporting the idea this substance was primarily water it would freeze solid when the solvent was cooled, ultimately causing clogs on injection, and potentially contaminating runs further downstream.

I advised them on an adequate molecular sieve and since the solvent was already out of the tanks I recommended we clean the puddle out entirely. As we went to clean it we noted a strong cannabis like odor so instead we collected the puddle and ran a few experiments on it.

When a drop is added to oil or cannabinoids it appears to be completely immiscible, when a drop is added to water the two drops combine immediately. At -10-0°F it is a solid, at 30-40°F it is a liquid. I believe what we have is a hydrosol. Thoughts? Further experiments?

2 Likes

Seen that before.
Yes, an hydrosol is what you’ve got.

Beyond that?
Chemistry…

Submitting for “terpene” testing may or may not get you any hits, certainly won’t get everything ID’d.

Comparing it against input biomass & output extracts might be interesting, more so if the accumulation was strain specific.

2 Likes

I would have to agree. Grab a few analytics from the “hydrosol” and some if there is anything else to sample.

Have you determined the source of it?

1 Like