Water Rinse for Chlorophyll Removal?

Hi everyone,

Would it make sense to run an initial cold wash of the raw material to remove the chlorophyll prior to the ethanol extraction step?

My idea upon receiving the raw material is to extract the chlorophyll with water, dry and decarb the solids, and then continue with a cold ethanol extract. Is the initial wash of the flower in cold water necessary if the extraction is cold? I’m wondering if the final product would be cleaner if the carbon filtration step to remove the chlorophyll was avoided. I would prefer to remove it before the ethanol wash and I am just looking for tips on this entire pre processing step.

Thanks!

1 Like

if I was going to bother doing a water wash on my material first, I’d make bubble hash.

certainly washing wet weed before drying is at thing. if you’re gentle and don’t knock off all the good bits by using water that is too cold, you should be able to wash at harvest, then hang to dry. don’t know how much chlorophyll you’ll get out with a rinse…nor have i tried the soak linked above.

if you decarb your material before ethanol extraction, you will probably loose some of your advantage…the terpenes are a co-solvent, if you drive them off, you make extracting the cannabinoids harder.

try it!

report back…

Thank you! I’m unfamiliar with terpenes and cannabinoid interaction with the solvent, I’ll do some more research.

The chlorphyll is inside the leaves and stuff. It doesn’t really just wash out, especially in a cold water scenario. It’s pretty bound to the plant.

Chlorphyll is really easy to remove with charcoal or by not picking it up in the first place with supercold extraction.

You might remove some stuff, but probably not much with the water wash. Then the energy required to dry it after doesn’t really make much sense to use in processing.

3 Likes

** I heard ** that hot water wash x3 will remove some shit (dark colors) and make the extraction, after you dry it of course, more sappy, since it had been subjected to high temperatures.
I didn’t try it but they were calling it ghetto clear, back when lots called distillate “the clear”

1 Like

makes sense. Thanks!

The hot water washing might remove some cannabinoids. Haven’t tried it myself. But even they physical act of rinsing will knock off some trichome heads. As well cannabanoids are water solube, just not very much so.

ive made isolate by washing cold crash thca/fats with hot water in a ghetto sep funnel

2 Likes