Water in badder

Hey everyone, there appears to be a bit of water content in my badder, evidenced by this picture, and excessive sizzling when dabbed. This batch was a small pour, and my post-processing technique consisted of holding the jar tightly in my hand, whipping it. Then putting it on a slide warmer the next day @85 while whipping it. I’m assuming the pour was a bit too butane heavy, and it dragged in atmospheric moisture as it off gassed. Has anyone see this before? Is there any decent technique for removing the moisture?

Thank you

1 Like

When I set my jars to the side I cover them with a lid super loose to allow the butane to escape and nothing else to enter.

Any reason to believe this came through during extraction and not during post processing?

3 Likes

That’s typically what I do, but on this batch I think it happened as I let the splatter platter off gas. Doubtful that it happened from extraction, but there is a chance a water droplet or two may have fallen off the collection into the platter when I split the two

2 Likes

Are you still running fresh frozen?

I have poured with way too much butane left and did my entire post processing in a Pyrex on a hot plate and never had any issues.

My gut tells me this is moisture in your solvent, or if it’s fresh solvent you could have pulled moisture during the run if things were too warm…

4 Likes

Did you let the platter off gas under heat or was it just open exposed to ambient temp? Did the platter frost over on the outside due to the evaporative cooling effect of the butane?

4 Likes

Now that I think about it, this run was before I switched my tane over. Temps were very cold tho. And it off gassed at ambient, not enough tane to frost the outsides. You guys think a couple drops of water falling off my collection into the platter when I took it apart could cause this?

1 Like

That’s a lot more than a few drops of water…

5 Likes

With that amount of condensation buildup I’d say it’s more than just a drop or two falling in. If you’re off gassing at ambient temp the butane is colder than the air around it and you’ll draw moisture in. Apply some heat while off gassing and you’ll avoid this. With that much moisture present this may or may not be your issue. It’s definitely possible the moisture was already present in your solvent.

1 Like

You put it in the fridge? Is your work area, or storage area really humid?

3 Likes

any ideas on remediation?

back into butane, then over a desiccant?

3 Likes

Have you tried leaving it in a bag of rice overnight

Nah but really though, getting moisture out of oil is pretty easy and there’s going to be a lot of correct answers here. How big of a batch are we talking and how quickly do you need it removed? What are you storing the bulk of it in now?

6 Likes

I just had a moisture issue from winterizing with 190.
I spread it thin as paper with dehumidifier pulling down to 20 to 30% humidity with fans.
I sometimes think i wick in moisture after the pour when its rainy outside and really high humidity? Just an observation

Dude. Don’t spread your tek

Not a good look. Lol

2 Likes

Lol im a giver

1 Like

Even when I’ve picked up moisture during an extraction, I’ve never had it off gas onto the lid of a jar like that.

My best guess is you stored it in the fridge/freezer and opened it up before allowing it to get to room temp. The jar and it’s contents would be colder than the air around it, and cause condensation to form on and in the jar.

1 Like

I had a similar experience.

I would recommend what @cyclopath said. Redissolve in butane and run it over some alumina. Even just redissolving in butane should get the water out

1 Like

I’ve fixed this by putting extract in the oven and putting a tray full of fresh sieve underneath and letting it go for the night. Was a while ago don’t remember temp.

4 Likes