Water and Soil Analytics post train derailment

Seeing as how this whole train derailment/massive chemical fire is getting downplayed by the media and local governments. Thinking some independent analytics may not be a bad idea. Id start with the water sources first as I’d imagine the testing to be the easiest. Gotta imagine we at least a few people on the forum around the Ohio river and related tributaries. Could be a headache for the labs involved though, not quite sure.

1 Like

Would those labs be equipped to even process environmental contaminant data vs. cannabinoid data? Likely would be dealing with far more stuff than a lab meant for testing cannabis is able to handle - not that they couldn’t but wouldn’t they need analytical standards to even identify what they’re looking at?

1 Like

Cannabis labs only have cannabis standards

You need an environmental lab

1 Like

If you are anywhere nearby, a decent proxy should be testing the acidity of your rain water. One of the byproducts of burning vinyl chloride is hydrochloric acid

5 Likes

I’m supposed to get some rain overnight. I’ll check the pH and report back in the morning.

I’m about 300 miles NW for reference.

3 Likes

The EPA has set methods to screen for whatever contaminate in whatever medium (soil, air, water)

It’s not like cannabis where everyone and their mom have different methods. With EPA shit, it has to be standardized across the board so the data holds up in court

3 Likes

Yeah that def makes sense about EPA standard being different. Guess pH testing of rain water will have to do for now.

Rainwater pH is ~6.5-6.7 here, pretty normal despite the northward winds.

Weirdly enough, Google says “normal” rainwater is around 5.7. Seems backwards if there’s supposed to be HCL in it.

1 Like

I’m a fairly short distance east and know a few people getting water+soil samples done, though the turnaround times seem to be a month or so for granular VOC/etc results. Looking to plant some fiber hemp either way for phytoremediation - if it worked in Chernobyl and in the coal fields, it’ll likely work here

3 Likes

Phytoremediation for the WIN!! I saw something about the VC being slower to migrate through soil/water so it may take longer to show up anyway. As far as HCL I have seen some photos suggesting acid rain damage when driving through a rain storm a bit south of the incident. It will be interesting to see how this plays out…