Washing perlite?

Does everyone wash their perlite when mixing with soil? I get getting most of the dust separated, but do we need to make sure the perlite is super clean? Or just a quick rinse?

I haven’t ever washed mine. Plants have always been happy. Maybe I’m messing up big time though. I’m just a guy in a shed.

3 Likes

I go thru 4cu’ of perlite every 2-3 months for 8+yrs. I’ve never washed it.

2 Likes

I’ll take the advice!!! I dunno why I’ve always washed, but I hate it lol.

Thanks doods!

2 Likes

Usually a wash Is done in order to remove the fine silica dust, that Is harmful to workers in Production enviroment (usually in the mixing with Coco or other inert) before potting

3 Likes

Never washed perlite in my life. I did wash the lava rock back in the days when I used it.

3 Likes

I rinse my perlite. I hate the dust.

I poke holes in the bottom of the bag, then put it in a tote over a block of coco. I rinse the perlite and hydrate the coco with the rinse water.

8 Likes

This is most likely why I did it, that dust is nasty, but I don’t deal with it too much, and when I do it’s small amounts. Maybe I’ll just wet it down really quick, I’d rather do that than deal with the dust.

Edit: but I’m definitely not wasting anymore time doing a thorough wash. I feel stupid now haha.

Use a garden spray head, or out the hose in the bag (with drain hole in the bottom) as suggested by @blackie
When we fill out pot in Greenhouse the perlite dust (10.000 liters, for 5000 pots) Is a real problem, its harmful and make you feel not good almost istantly…

5 Likes

Yeah, I definitely want to avoid that dust. Just was going a little overboard with washing it. I’ll still wet it down for sure tho.

(can’t really take giant bags of perlite out to rinse in plain sight)

1 Like

If you keep your large bag upright, and scoop out as needed, most all the dust will settle on bottom of the bag. I’ve tried 10 brands of perlite, only 1 has minimal dust. It’s an all white bag (not see thru or opaque) and black writing. I cant remember the brand name. Htg sells it. Best, lowest dust perlite I’ve found.

1 Like

I use this one, it’s not horrible as far as dust. Bottom 1/5 of the bag is where the dust is.

Lava rock is an absolute bitch to clean

3 Likes

Could rinse with 12% food Grade H2O2 then r/o water and then let it dry out in a bin with paper towels if you’re trying to sterilize the perlite…

1 Like

Never, but only used it for mushrooms. Probably makes since though.

1 Like

Just gotta say, thanks for all the replies. You all always offer up good advice super fast.

Also, light wash to remove dust while I mix. No more wasting water and time.

That dust is bad for bugs too. I like to use the fine stuff from the bottom of the bag for top dressing like you would use DE.

If not using the whole bag at once, I usually just dry scoop it slowly, usually wearing a mask, then wet it before mixing into other media. Otherwise I add water to the bag before pouring. Not much, just enough to knock down the dust. I usually don’t put a drain hole in the bottom, unless it’s a bigger bag.

4 Likes

I’ve never washed perlite but that’s a good idea for the dust. Even w a mask it’s annoying af

1 Like

I remembered why I washed, I used to do hempy buckets.

I wash mine when I do hempy also just so the dust doesn’t fill the reservoir on the bottom.