Washing dirty diamonds

32 c is a good number. Don’t go deeper than -15 hg

8 Likes

I was thinking something similar. Definitely don’t want to go full vac unless you are wanting to clarify terpenes.

1 Like

Think a happy medium could be achieved by using full vac and cold temps?

Probably depends on your definition of “cold” and “full vac” :thinking:

Great use for that water aspirator…

4 Likes

Ok I figured posting in this was better than a new thread!

I just did my first ever wash in a buchner funnel with pentane. It was room temp I didnt get anything cold. The diamonds I had took maybe 10 mins to dissolve but its a noticeable difference.

All I used was a 1 micron paper filter, DE and pentane.

Added pentane to my jars to turn everything into a liquid… this is before pentane and just added pentane…

Then I swirled around until diamonds were dissolved and added to the funnel! I took a video if anyone’s interested…

And this is right after which is noticeably different!

I was just trying to get particulates out not mess with color…

Im very happy with how it turned out considering how im new to all this and doing it myself lol.

Anyways would love feedback on what I might have missed or done wrong or anything you guys can think of! I havent found many posts about pentane washes so I wanted to put this out here!

Currently my jars are chillin in hot water on the counter.

Should I throw them in a vac or just let them evap normally?

Thanks again guys none of this would be possible without this place and you all!

5 Likes

Hey guys a quick question…

Its been 2 days and the jars look exactly the same no nucleation or anything.

I have the jars sealed tight so nothings evaporating so im thinking that has something to do with it but im just not noticing any change and I was thinking the pentane would show something with what ive read and have been told about it.

Anyways should I crack lids or put in freezer for cold crash or put in a vac oven? Or do I just need to be more patient and wait and let them sit? I feel like I have the saturation point pretty close to where it should be but maybe it needs a little more evaporating?

I’ve gone through so many posts about pentane and I cant find the answer im lookin for with this particular run I did so I figured I would ask you guys. Thanks for any help!

Figured I’d throw a picture in

You might need to evap quite a bit of the pentane.

I believe people starting with a solution of 2:1 pentane to thca. One thing I’m not clear on is if that’s ratio is based off of weight or volume. I assume volume.

I haven’t done it myself, but that’s my guess on why anything isn’t forming yet.

2 Likes

I was wondering if that might be it since the lids are on tight. I know the BP of pentane is almost 100f and its like 70-80 degrees where its sitting so its not acting like butane when in these jars lol… Should I crack the jars and let some more evaporate to get super saturation?

Other than that I wouldn’t know what steps to try next

1 Like

I think if you uncap it the pentane will evap off, but I can’t say. I haven’t worked with pentane myself.

Sorry I can’t help with that.

Its all good thanks anyways bro! I know its not as common as other stuff here but I know there’s some guys on here that might have the answer!

1 Like

Yes way to much solvent. Maybe extreme cold could get it to be super saturated. If you have 10g of crystal shoot for around 15g total solvent:solute solution to start with and then let it evap or cool until supersaturated and crystallizing. If you have any non dissolved crystals you can use them to gauge the saturation level of your dissolved solution. If the added “seed” crystal does not dissolve into the solution you are right on track, if it does dissolve, either lower the temp or reduce the solvent amount.

No idea about open air evap with pentane, it does evaporate readily, but may absorb moisture?

3 Likes

Ah ok so yea to much solvent. Ill throw them in the freezer and see if that crashes them out if not ill evaporate more off then try again!

If anyone else has any pentane tips go ahead and post them! :joy:

Thank you bro!

I think I’ve been through this thread several times. But did anyone ever make it clear if we can wash diamonds with ntane? I guess-50f tane wouldn’t melt the diamonds? But would that wash the diamonds? Or is it warm and fast the way to do it?
I found some old jareds dodo shit I forgot about, it’s pretty old and brown. Id like to clean up for seeds for other projects.

You could totally use cold N

1 Like

Thank you. Warm or cold? My freezer chills around-50f or I’m am comfortable with with jarring warm.

Sorry didn’t see cold tane. Thanks

How did this turn out? any updates?

Sorry if im reviving an old thread. My aim was to do exactly this. Was thinking a 2:1 pentane : thca mix. Sitting at room temperature. But with 0 experience im curious how long it may take for the thca to reform. And if something like a low temp rotary evap would take off the residual pentane in the pour off.

I’ve always wondered how warm water would work…

I’ve washed cold crash powder with warm water and it turned white

2 Likes