Washing crashed/crystallized cbd distillate

I am working with cbd distillate that crashed/crystallized using organic ethanol. The next step obviously is to wash it and clean it up a bit in order to isolate the CBD. I am exploring methods for washing that do not include alkanes (hydrocarbons). I am thinking superchilled etoh. Does anyone have any experience or success with this procedure?

I tried it a couple times, it didn’t work very well in my experience. It certainly seemed to me that cold ethanol isn’t nearly as good at washing away the remaining oleoresin as cold alkane.

2 Likes

Many folks here extract CBD with ethanol at -40C, imo CBD is way too soluble in ethanol for such a wash to work well. Pretty much everything will go back into solution…

Pentane is the usual go to because it has a lower affinity for cannabinoids, and it’s easier to evaporate, but hexane or even heptane will work well.

Using a second solvent with different affinities than your primary extraction solvent is going to make removing stuff that your primary solvent bought along for the ride possible…

What you’re proposing is a lot like repeating your primary extraction and hoping for different results…

Given that purification via crystallization is really the trick being performed here, there is a window you can squeeze through to get the job done…I just suspect it’s a little one in a basement, and has bars on it.

4 Likes

Use a terpene

2 Likes

:bowl_with_spoon:

1 Like

The little room in the basement with bars on it is my PLAY-ROOM… do not LET my TOYS get out!

But yeah, use pine treen , or carry off a lean, and US

1 Like

suggested ratio?

Dissolve oil it in a 2.5:1 ratio (hot solvent, hot oil, blend hard, let rest and come down to 25c)

Now repeatedly drop the temp to 2c using moderate stirring and pulsing ultrasound through the liquid in on off cycles, (1 on 5 of)
When it it’s 2c stop chilling and let the temp rise to 18c

The US will raise the temp pretty quick, and you can pulse it longer on the upswing to warm it up.

Keep doing this for a few hours, you will see results.

You’ll crash out a uniform slurry of powdered isolate crystals, you can rinse this powder with a small amount of cold pentane to pull residual terpenes and impurities and make it easy to purge.

5 Likes

Auto-misdirect…love it!!

edit: see THC syrup for how to carry off a lean :wink:

3 Likes