Wascilly Wabbits, what do?

Just fyi, wear rubber gloves if you cut up a rabbit to eat. I think cooking detroys the rabbit fever bacteria, but you can get it from handling the raw meat.

5 Likes

Not too far off topic, but I have over the last few days had rats move into my yard. Y’all have any suggestions for non-lethal rodent control? Have any of y’all used the sonic deterrents? Really don’t want to have to use poison or traps, but I will murder every last fucking one of them if I have to. Fuckers went town on my tomatoes. Grrrrrrr…

2 Likes

The old school wood traps and peanut butter is the best. Don’t poison, it has a huge impact on predator dirds. We lost a few pairs of owls when a new neighbor moved in down the road and put out bait stations

5 Likes

We have all the herbs that are supposed to deter rodents growing in abundance all over the property. Mint, oregano, sage, and rosemary are seemingly having no effect on them. Saw one this morning climbing on the rosemary to get a tomato. Fuckers!

I’m really hoping to avoid killing them. Hate killing things I don’t plan on eating.

4 Likes

get a rottweiler train it to play with bunnies. they are really good at catching and snapping a neck or two especially if you reward them afterwards

1 Like

Irish spring, cheese grater

3 Likes

I make a delicious hopping chicken soup. As long as the rabbits are delivered to me cleaned, I’m game to cook game.

4 Likes

I like dove and quail

Rabbits are so easy to dress. No plucking, which is nice. We have laying hens and I would consider meat rabbits, meat chickens are a lot of work. We currently have two kune kune pigs that are ready to go. Just waiting for a good weekend with all hands on deck.

2 Likes

Dangerous if you’ve got other critters you care about, and certainly not a very nice thing to do, but leaving out a cup or two of antifreeze is pretty effective at dispatching thirsty animals

I will also mention that I’ve got a killer beer braised rabbit and leek recipe if you’re interested

1 Like

Paper towel roll smothered in peanut butter on the center over a 5 gallon bucket with antifreeze is definitely a rat solution I used to use at cabins.

They’ll walk to their death.

I can make tripline traps for deer where it shoots off a blank and makes all animals fuck off. Mostly deer tho.

I can show u how.

They do make a real soft jacket, handbag or bikini; however you accessorize.

1 Like

They changed the antifreeze formula so it is no longer sweet, added a bitter taste to discourage animal consumption.

2 Likes

Add some sugar lol

That’s what the peanut butter is for ^^

1 Like

Look into cooking them for your k9 friends. (Only say cooked because idk if the rabbit fever things will get dogs too)

Better than wasting them…

1 Like

I love rabbit. I’m talking about rats, though. Even in a survival situation I’d have a hard time eating them. Don’t really want to feed them to my cats. The 7 or 8 other neighborhood cats that frequent the yard (because of our koi pond) Don’t seem to be helping much, either.

I was hoping someone would say that those sonic deterrents or something of the like work well.

The explosive “deterrent :rofl:” is the most effective solution I’ve found to date. Technically you don’t really need to ignite the hole after you’ve pumped it full of propane or acetylene you can just leave it and the critters will vacate due to lack of oxygen.

But if you choose to do it like that, hire a working dog to solve your problems when those critters vacate their holes.

Basically any kind of terrier or terrier cross can handle something like this without any training. The main objective is to get the critters out of their holes and exposed to your dogs.

If you hire someone you will almost certainly see them bring a jagd terrier for a job like this…

Every Jagd terrier I’ve ever had the pleasure of interacting with has been a little demon. Kills whatever is in front of it. I used to use em for taking out boar coons when I lived in Oklahoma.

1 Like

Capsaicin is an oil; it is soluble in alcohols and most other organic solvents.

1 Like