Warming CBD Topical?

We had a customer request adding a warming agent to their white label topical. It seems that larger companies are using Capsicum (Chili Pepper Extract) at low concentrations but wondering is there is a better solution? Prefer naturally derived.

I’m already well aware of the low efficacy of topical application of CBD. Would adding a warming agent help “Penetrate” for better absorption?

Any input is appreciated!

1 Like

If the warning agent also works as a penatrant it could. @Krative knows more about this stuff than I do.

1 Like

I’m far from being an expert in transdermal application, but I can tell you that camphor and menthol are also both used it many warming topicals. I also know that arnica and emu oil are used frequently to assist with absorption.

Hopefully we some more knowledgable people chime in to give a bit more refined assistance. @Rowan, got any thoughts?

1 Like

Camphor is at the top of the list right now.

we actually already use arnica in the base formula for that exact reason. But it can always be more effective.

I use a 1:1 amount of camphor and menthol in one of my topicals, its been doing great.

1 Like

At what concentration of total volume? Seeing wide ranges from 3-15%…

1 Like

I’ll check, heading into facility shortly.
Had to tone it down the menthol it was extremely overwhelming on the first batch, although very effective

2 Likes

Ive used up to 6-8% menthol in oils and never got any warming from it

1 Like

Are you doing a lotion, a wax, or a salve? What’s the base

There’s a lot of ways to peel a banana but Methyl salicylate, camphor, capsaicin, menthol, aloe and even lidocaine are the usual arsenal of ingredients here. They all contribute differently and can have different reactions so there’s not a one-size-fits-all option. If you’ve ever wondered why Icy Hot has about thirty different versions, this is the reason why.

Some people have allergic responses to salicylates so you’ll need to make it abundantly clear on the labeling if that’s part of the formulation but it is effective. Lidocaine is more for outright numbing it. Every ingredient has pros and cons, whether that’s effectiveness, irritation, or cosmetic (greasiness is the usual issue)

1 Like

DMSO has a bit of a burning sensation :slight_smile:

You’ve got to include things to help it get through the corpus corneum, then more things to help it move through water based vessels. You will need to use more than just a warning agent to aid in absorbtion.

1 Like

We use up to 10% menthol

1 Like

I would think Capsaicin might aid in CBDs effectiveness as they both target Vanilloid receptors.

Cinnamon might be another viable option

And I believe menthol produces a cooling effect

3 Likes

That interesting, we use menthol as a cooling agent and it works great

1 Like

For profit purposes, which warming agent is the cheapest while still providing the best results?

Methyl salicylate is used in warming salves.

1 Like

Tiger balm is that :fire::fire::fire:

This is the article that sparked my interest in Capsaicin. However, there are many different vendors/extractions so trying to pick the right one has been challenging.