Want to buy: Greenbeams 315W CMH reflector

I’m looking for a single Greenbeams reflector in great shape, but I’d buy the ballast too if it’s all or nothing.

Who’s holding?

1 Like

I got a Sun Systems 315w built in ballast/hood. Used for 1.5 grows. You can have it for free if you want it

4 Likes

Super nice offer! Thank you very much. But I’m OK.

I’m looking for a single Greenbeams because I lost one a while. I’m building a new plant growth research chamber, and I use Greenbeams 315W CMH fixtures with White Optics 98% reflective surface to ensure >98% light uniformity.

Covid shortage?

1 Like

If your asking why did I post this? Because Greenbeams went kaput a year or two ago. Only a few can be found in stores online at a high price. Considering I don’t need the ballast because I have a few extra Philips E-Vision 277V ballasts from the old days of CMH, I’d rather not pay $600+.

2 Likes

Couldnt you make any parabolic hood work?

What bulb are you planning on using? I’ve been a cmh user for about 4yrs now.

2 Likes

Im still po’d I didnt jump on their going out of biz sale!

3 Likes

That’s great to hear. It’s an excellent technology. And it’s nice it’s you, too, considering you skilled at growing.

It’s a good suggestion to use a different parabolic, thank you for that. But it won’t work for me, because I need a series of identical parabolic reflectors.

No other reflector can replace or match the Greenbeams for unifomrity and efficiency. It was deigned for a specific lamp dimension, with the lamp orientated vertically and its tip painted, for best possible uniformity, and ‘one bounce and out’ ray angle and angle of incidence for photons. I’d have to replace all the fixtures if I replaced one, and I wouldn’t get nearly the same light uniformity, quality, and quantity.

This is for research in a very tightly controlled environment. Conducing experiments and trials on effects from environmental, nutritional and substrate changes, and biotic and abiotic stressors. Including monitoring photosynthetic rate, transpiration, chlorophyll content, chlorophyll florescence, phytochemicals, etc. It’s a research grade plant growth chamber modeled for 6 Greenbeams providing >98% uniformity at 500-1500 PPFD via dimming and distance from apertures.

Here’s a little CMH history if anyone is interested:

Greenbeam 315W, as most cannabis growers know its name, is just renamed from the original research lab focused luminaire: All-Bright 315W

A guy named Richard designed the All-Bright 315W CMH luminaire with Cycloptics Technologies back in ~2010. He designed it with the assistance of Dr. Bruce Bugbee, a renown Ph.D plant physiologist who is now studying chemotype III CBD plants at Utah State University. Richard used to design headlamp reflectors for cars, which is where the design for the All-Bright reflector came from and why it works so well.

Richard designed the All-Bright reflector for research grade plant growth chambers, for Dr. Bugbee’s research. With and at the behest of Dr. Bugbee.

The owner of Cycloptics, Flip, worked with Dr. Bugbee, Richard, and Philips Lighting to create the first 315W CMH lamp for plant growth, the Philips MasterColor 930 Elite Agro you’re familiar with (spiked red waveband). At that time the lamps were only made for Cycloptics, but they soon found a wide audience from growers and researchers even without the All-Bright 315W reflector.

All-Brigtht 315W never really took off in the research world, mostly because they priced themselves too high. And most Unis won’t pay to retrofit what the suits consider ‘good enough.’

About this time I met Flip. I worked with Richard, Flip, and his son to collect relevant data and designs from the All-Bright version, to improve the design of the system for growers, and to offer the Philips MasterColor 942 lamp for enhanced blue waveband. Helping create the first Greenbeams website, content and marketing materials. Most of the original 3D photometric modeling Greenbeams used for marketing were of my rooms and plant growth chambers, and I wrote the spreadsheets they used for calculating cost per gram, COGd and operating cost efficiencies.

Sadly, after Flip focused Cycloptics Technologies on the cannabis world Richard became discontented. He wanted to focused on research applications, not cannabis cultivation. He left the company years ago.

And then, even more sadly, Flip closed the door at Greenbeams for good. They where too expensive, and growers didn’t understand the benefits well enough to convert over in large enough numbers for them to stay afloat. That, plus lots of cheap knock-off competitors that don’t hold a (foot)candle to Greenbeams ate away at its customers base who didn’t know any better and just bought the cheaper option.

Which leads us to this thread. Because I rather not pay full price including the cost of ballast I don’t need. And I’d rather not reach out to people who used to be at Greenbeams because it’s sure it’s a soar subject.

1 Like

Me too. Back in the day, I got them for ~$225/unit, with the top of the line Philips E-Vision dimmable 277V ballast and 930 Elite Agro, because I helped them with Greenbeams.

They are too much money to outfit a large cultivation facility at their retail cost, but they’re ideal for plant growth chambers and smaller grows.

If I can’t find one, I’ll just bite the bullet and buy a whole system. Or reach out to old friends…

3 Likes

Do you still have this

3 Likes

Yes I do