Walk in Freezer

I am a project manager working to open a new manufacturing facility in San Diego.
I am looking into walk in freezers, if you have any recommendation please tell us more about it. We would like it to be 9’6"x11’x8’high, flammable proof (C1D2). The evaporator will be on top of the roof, the roof is less than 10’ away. The unit has to be built on site, as we do not have a wide enough doorway to move a pre assembled one. It does need a insulated floor. standard door. Not sure if we need a indoor ramp but we will be using a dolly to move large tanks of ethanol. We will be storing ethanol, dry flower, oil, distillate inside the walk in freezer.

1 Like

your solvent will cool faster if it is agitated. moving drums in and out of a freezer is a pita. a jacketed tank and plumbing make for better process flow.

or maybe i’m just jealous :wink:

we assembled a walkin fridge and freezer we got used. but never purchased a new compressor for them…so they are just insulated boxes that get in the way at the moment.

2 Likes

Checkout:
Frozen Tuna Fish Price Ultra Low Temperature Cold Storage Nelson Walk In Blast Freezer - Buy Cold Storage Nelson,Walk In Blast Freezer Product on Alibaba.com

Give them your required dimensions and see what they can do.

1 Like

a walk-in is amazing for a ton of things. If you’re trying to chill your Etho I definitely recommend getting a holding tank with a chiller. It will make your life SO much easier! We have a 150Gal with custom coil inside. Thing KILLS it! I still wanted a walk in to keep flower and for dewaxing, but the powers that be nixed that shit.

Ive got an old copelametic currently collecting dust in my garage.

I was told to get pricing for a freezer that can do -40 to -60 degrees F. But a lot of companies im contacting are saying its not necessary to have it that cold, -20 F is enough. Can anyone suggest a recommended temp?

Putting 55gal drums or kegs in a freezer, walk-in or not, is not an efficient (fast) way to get the solvent cold.

Two kegs in a -40C overnight. Solvent started at 5C. Was at -30C 17hrs later (this morning).

Air is a lousy heat transfer medium (better than vac :joy:)…and so is still solvent.

Pump and a heat exchanger. Or food grade dry ice if you prefer. Self agitates

-15c to -39C in 20min with 8.5lb dry ice to 15gal iso.

1 Like

I believe that the -20C is good for extraction, but you want to drop it to -50C for winterization.

1 Like

A walk in is a great idea, but -20 isn’t really so cold, and can be achieved cheaply if desired. For example, my local pharmacy is the only place I’d need to go… from Wikipedia:

−40 °C can be achieved with a 1 to 0.8 ratio by weight of calcium chloride hexahydrate to ice.

I do think the over-the-counter form is eh dihydrate, but it’s still a cheap answer, if you want one.