W1 vs W3

Hi everyone, I strictly use W1 for my extractions with reasonable success, but Chemtek is sold out. I was looking into W3, and unfortunately I can’t seem to find much information on this site about its efficacy. I guess I’m asking if W1 and W3 produce similar results, or what your experience has been. Thank you for any replies.

@Waxplug1

1 Like

I should also mention I’ll buy some from you if the price is reasonable. I’m looking for a 10kg bucket.

@Killa12345 can help you with all of it.

4 Likes

W3 works great and is cheaper. I believe w1 is more acidic

2 Likes

Lots of good info here Chem Tek - Oil Filtration Media

3 Likes

From my understanding, W3 is more aggressive that W1, and recommended when more remediation is desired. Here is some info from Chemtek on W1 and W3:

W1 is an acid activated bentonite clay adsorbent specific for the removal of chlorophyll, heavy metals, and fats. W1 is very effective at bleaching and refining while preserving the terpenes present in the oil.
Unlike other clays, the ability to remove soaps and free fatty acids which are produced during the bleaching process reduces the amount of clay needed to bleach.

W3 is a highly active adsorptive clay designed for difficult to bleach oils. It has a high cation exchange capacity paired with high moisture content making it ideal for adsorption of impurities such as chlorophyll, carotenes, heavy metals, phospholipids, soaps, and other impurities.

1 Like

Thank you to anyone who took the time to reply. I found some W1 but I am also going to give some Lustermax a go. I want to try some W3 as well now…

3 Likes

@Darrenjaydirect you’ve been summoned

4 Likes

We have all three in stock at Solvent Direct, and offer free shipping on media as well. Give us a call at 833-787-3427, and tell em Big M sent you.

4 Likes

Hey @CrescentFreshExtract :wave:

I encourage you to experiment to make sure you hands down have the best media for your extract.

Just make sure to put LusterMax first to set the bar. Gram per gram strongest without destroying the essence of your extract and the price point is well under its direct competition!

Oh did I mention the insanely fast flow rate compared to other popular medias? :clinking_glasses:

Call me if you have any questions!
323-601-0270

SOLVENT DIRECT - LusterMax

California extraction supply

Extractor solutions

Quality Stainless Parts

Feels amazing to have this list of distributors! :sob::pray:

5 Likes

Can you use Lustermax in conjunction with other media? Would it be best layered over or under (assuming top fill column) something like silica or even a granular product?

2 Likes

Lustermax and silica is what we sell the most these days. To be used together.

5 Likes

Explain it so that even I can understand it. Silica first in the solvent path? Equal amounts by weight/volume? I know that recipes vary based on material and desired outcome. What would you recommend just to get started?

1 Like

1:1 and mix it together. 50g combined powders per dry lb extracted.

That’s what I tell my customers.

6 Likes