VSD vs Lyophilization - Powdered THC or CBD

I just finished my nanoemulsification SOP and I’m working on a nanoencapsulation SOP for making powdered THC or CBD, whatever market you would be in. I’m looking at my options for potentially removing the aqueous phase.

I have quite a bit of experience in the lyophilization area, and that was my initial thought but my concern is if my solution will precipitate out at -80C. I may have to flash freeze with liquid nitrogen instead of freezing at -80C prior to lyophilization.

The other option I’ve been looking into is vacuum spray drying but I’ve never dabbled with this before - and until recently I’ve never really produced nanoemulsifications or nanoencapsulations before. So I really have no idea what is the ideal technology for this process.

I’d love to hear people’s feedback if they are using VSD technology or if you have experience lyophilizing a nanoencapsulated oil and whether or not freezing it drops it out of solution

Spray Drying works. Done it for years. Get your spray tip right and concentrate on the spray pattern. Then its just sorting through your particle sizes to make sure what you got is what you wanted to begin with. You can always mill a bit if your particle size is not quite right as well.

Lyo works for some things - I prefer spray drying myself. Probably cause that’s what I started with. I’m still a lover of fluid bed dryers and using vibrating vacuum socks though… I know many don’t like those methods anymore. -shrug-

Why reinvent the wheel when the car is still rolling?

Do you have a recommended manufacturer for VSD equipment? Or a handful of suggested companies that make quality equipment? Being new to that space that would be a great help to save me a little time in vetting companies.

I’ll definitely be doing lyophilization anyway because I have a lyophilizer, so there is some convenience to using what I know and already have equipment for. Now if it doesn’t work, that’s another story.