Viva la Mexico!

Petty thievery is Costa Rica’s national sport. Even if one isn’t rich, being fair skinned and living down there makes one a target. It’s not a guarantee that there will be problems, but the lighter the skin and the greater the cash flow, the greater the liklihood one will encounter problematic behavior.

I have family who lives down in CR. My wife lived there for about 5 years. Even with the potential for being targeted, I’d love to be living down there.

4 Likes

I felt pretty safe when I went a couple years back, my folks are looking at moving down there to retire. I’d love to go back to La Fortuna/Lago Arenal

To a point, its all about making relationships with locals, but think the second you add in drugs or things the cartels are interested in you start putting a flag on yourself. no amount of ex pats will stop the cartels from taking an easy dollar.

4 Likes

One of the hotels I stayed at out in the sticks, the guy had clones growing in the lobby. Weed in small amounts seemed to be more or less overlooked

Not true! There are super harsh penalties for cannabis possession and even more harsh penalties for production and sales. Just because you experienced an anomaly does not make it the norm.

1 Like

This was on a pretty busy road between some of the towns we visited :man_shrugging:

The laws might be harsh, but they seem to be selectively enforced. Prob better to avoid it as a gringo

5 Likes

I had a Costa Rican trimmer steal 2 units this season. 2 units of the worst weed in the garden. My guess is he thought either I wouldn’t notice, or wouldn’t care. Jokes on him, won’t get paid like he did, anywhere else. Anyway not to spiral in to talking shit about Costa Ricans :laughing: Land in Michoacán is mighty expensive, I imagine stuff within 50 miles of the coast is most optimal for cultivation. I wonder where else land might be optimal…

Imo the prime lots are where they can grow mangos and agave. Agave is usually grown in the valleys, and mangos/avacado are up in the mountains. So a sweet spot in between but not too close to the ocean :+1:
I am in the agave region, right next to the avacado/mangos.

Id pick in this general area.

2 Likes

You guys actually think the Mexican government will let anyone have a license, or choose the most qualified candidates if its capped?

I’m pretty sure that all of Mexico’s legal market will be cartel controlled because they will be the only ones who get licenses. The politicians down there are extremely corrupt and are owned by the cartels.

3 Likes