VERMONT REC GOES LIVE MAY 1 and the BILLS need REVISIONS!

The bills are NOT finalized and they are FULL OF HOLES!

I would like anyone and everyone with a brain to help me pick through these bills and analyze how the situation would unfold if left unmodified-

Specifically S.185, which involves concentrates, and specifically bans the use of butane and hexane, and appears to ban vape carts.

I am also concerned with the vagueness of the term “alcoholic beverage” as it does not specify an alcohol content %

PLEASE WEIGH IN, its NOT too late to save concentrates in Vermont!

https://legislature.vermont.gov/bill/status/2022/S.185

3 Likes

Alcoholic beverage legal definition is anything over 0.5%abv

3 Likes

Oh thank you so much for giving me something fabulous to noodle on this fine Sunday. <3

1. Looks to me like vapes are allowed, but without non-cannabis flavorings.
  2. Looks like concentrates are now allowed, but with limitations.
  3. Nicotine is a different taxation on the federal level, this is a normal separation of classified goods.
  4. Alcohol is a different taxation on the federal level, this is a normal separation as well - looks like no above 0.5% alcoholic beverages. So just don’t go putting cannabis in beer/wine/spirits unless you have dealcoholized them first.
  5. Page 3 line 8 is designed to regulate the CBD market AND allow for regulation of any other substance derived from hemp, line 10 is the telling part here “to mislead consumers” often used in other states to limit things that might be marketed in a way to appear similar to another product. (like…um oat milk not being milk kind of stuff)
  6. Page 6 line 10 - no longer has a provision to allow approval of butane or hexane extraction processes. This will be intentional to prevent specific kinds of extraction from occurring and is common in other states. As Vermont is a member of CANN-RA, one expects to see statutes already implemented in other states like this.

In general - the bill appears to expand the capabilities of vertically integrated groups - while completely limiting extraction capabilities. Seems strange to me that they were specific about only two types, other states are using classifications regarding levels of volatility and NFPA classifications of substances.

It now allows concentrates that were previously not allowed but limits the manufacturing.

Are you working directly with the legislature on this? Do you have a lobbyist?

I work with CANN-RA often and I don’t have an issue reaching out to them with a request for amendment. I’m assuming someone really doesn’t want C1D1 or LEL synthesis activities to occur, do you know who that someone is? Feel free to reach out and I’ll poke folks, don’t want to poke people if you have already poked people. :wink:

6 Likes

Probably somebody not happy about their co2 investment

5 Likes

Im laughing real hard

I’m not so sure in the vape ban. They are banning butane and hexane though, already not allowed to use hydrocarbons. Really out of ignorance and fear of stigma from butane labs blowing up. They aren’t casting a tight net, so there are many holes so isobutane and propane are not banned, neither are pentane or heptane.

Really, the things like potency limits and edible limits, are to appease Prohibitionists (surprisingly common in Vermont) which would cause the rules to go to get debated in the legislature, delaying the market

1 Like

There is no mention of “tetrahydrocannabinolic” or “THCA” anywhere in that document. I didn’t read the entire thing yet but that might be a hole worth addressing, given what happened with the farm bill.

They have a really broad definition of cannabis.

And also a really broad definition of hemp.

This change is specific to CBD and any other substances which might be toxic or addictive. Which is again broad - the key here being that now CBD products regardless of where they come from will be regulated when they are added to cannabis and cannabis products

Kind of great - since it allows you to take hemp derived stuff and add it to cannabis/cannabis products. Which in many states is not allowed in the regulated market.

2 Likes