Variance in d8 lab results: An analytical review

It’s interesting that some labs are reading higher d9 then KCA. That means even if KCA said you’re compliant you could still easily get busted by a different lab.

7 Likes

Could you share what each of the labs charged to provide these results?

3 Likes

Also the standard deviation for d8 being as large as the value itself is whack! Big testing industry fail.

4 Likes

None of the labs had any involvement in this experiment. We were just random samples in their queue.

3 Likes

There are 3-4 labs that are vey consistent with one another for these samples from this batch. That however may not be the case for the next batch. :frowning:

2 Likes

I was asking about the cost of their potency testing.

about tree fiddy

6 Likes

Would be a nice metric to have in this discussion. Can’t shit on a lab that is charging $10 to do a potency on your flower for giving “bad” D8 data when a lab that gives “good” D8 data charges $100 for a potency test.

2 Likes

I would happily give you bad data for $10. You won’t even need to send a sample!

11 Likes

Just send pics I can tell just by looking at it

8 Likes

When a farmer wants an accurate CBD/D9 content of their flower they aren’t going to care if a lab separates D8 and D9.

6 Likes

That’s only because they know d8 doesn’t grow on flower lol (don’t talk about 0.05% d8 peaks either lol)

d8 RSD: 6.61%
d9 RSD: 87.9%

I feel comfortable with an internal RSD of less than 2%. With an external RSD of 5% (10% if a monkey does the sampling).

This would fail my quarterly check against labs. I’d then look for outliers and dump them - because the variability would be too hard. They get another chance in 3 months. I think your variation variables are spot on. I always check for those things - right down to the specific instruments people are using, if they are using an in-house method, and I go over sample preparation methods as well.

I’m always surprised when labs are surprised by my questions. We should all be asking them and holding them to these standards. Just like we hold ourselves to higher standards than the regulations require, since sometimes the regulators are confused or ignorant or have weird hidden agendas.

Thank you for sharing! <3

7 Likes

I sent this thread to new bloom

1 Like

Can I participate to the test ?

7 Likes

That d9-THC RSD is even worse lol

d9-THC RSD = (2.33/2.05)*100 = 113.6% (just switched the average and SD)

If there’s any lab out of the United States that deserves to help in the standards. It’s https://Alplant.ch

3 Likes

Removed ACS and ProVerde to reanalyze the D8 data
As well as 374 and New Bloom to reanalyze the D9 data

Analyte D8-THC D9-THC
Total # of labs 7 7
Max % 94.04% 1.94%
Min % 85.30% 0.06%
Range 8.74% 1.88%
Mean 90.63% 0.97%
Standard Deviation 3.06% 0.75%
95% Confidence Interval 6.11% 1.50%
6 Likes

Fuck there’s a lot of work to be done in the testing realm.

3 Likes

It would also be interesting to submit samples spiked with known amount of d9 standards in duplicate with an unspiked sample of the same material. Fairly trivial to perform as well, and adds a reference to an actual CRM (rather than a “democratic” result).

7 Likes