Vape associated lung injury caused by heating elements - or more big tobacco fuckery?

Sorry, after rereading your message:

The current thought is EVALI is caused by that tissue damage to the lungs he is talking about. And some researchers think ketene gas may be the culprit because it’s produced as a degradation product from vitamin E acetate when ti’s heated to greater than 700’C or 300’C+ with some metals.

The current scientific/medical consensus is EVALI is not caused by lipoid pneumonia or lung surfactant disruption.

That would make sense, acid in the D8 maybe. Which when vaped will cause damage to tissue as described.

bad conversions are my pet theory, but I can’t really substantiate it

2 Likes

Makes perfect sense. And had not occurred to me before right now. Thanks guys!

1 Like

Any labs run tests for residual tosic acid? I’m genuinely curious

1 Like

Nope. Not from the CDC, Mayo, etc.

1 Like

I always wondered if the VEA was in some way reacting with catalysts in converted cannabinoids. Reason I entertained this idea was converted D9 did seem to be strongly linked with all of this. There were reports of small amounts of D8 showing up in black market carts showing up during the exact same time frame. The researchers noted this had never been seen before in confiscated cartridges but I do not recall there ever being any further investigation on chemical synthesis being involved. I’m curious if other facilities were unable to distinguish the difference between D8 and D9 so this correlation went underreported. That’s been my pet theory. I just think if it were residual tosic alone that we would be hearing reports about it again in huge volumes with all the garage delta 8 floating around on the open market now.

4 Likes

I too recall news reports about D8. Check out the report I shared which discusses VEA and ketene and other reactants:

E-cigarette, or Vaping Product-Associated Lung Injury (EVALI): Seeking the Toxicant(s)