Vape associated lung injury caused by heating elements - or more big tobacco fuckery?

Just saw this article on LinkedIn, it seems to be credible based on my 30 second google search.

Anyone knowledgeable about metal vs. ceramic vape cart construction want to chime in on the legitimacy of this claim? There is a link to the actual UCI report within the article.

@qma @Ascent

1 Like

Interesting.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/JAHA.120.017368

Im about to fuck these people up because they did this 10 years ago with traditional vapes and they are doing it again

Prior to September 2019, we were studying eC vapor generated from propylene glycol/vegetable glycerin (50% each) plus tobacco flavor (classic tobacco flavoring, “single shot,” which is the lowest dose available, from VaporFi.com), plus nicotine, using a stainless‐steel atomizer (SS) heating element. None of these rats (>30 experiments) developed respiratory distress. The eC device we were using went off market and a substitute device was offered as an alternative. The new device was physically compatible with our exposure system, but the heating element changed from SS to a nickel‐chromium alloy (NC).

Oh, so they are putting a pen on a battery designed for a mod? Will they change their voltage to what a pen can handle?

Eighteen rats received a single, nose‐only, acute eC exposure for 2 hours (NC heating element, 60 or 70 W); five rats received one exposure of eC vapor using the older SS heating element for 2 hours (60 or 70 W); seven rats received a single, nose‐only, 2‐hour exposure to air (Table).

:wastebasket:

This entire study is bullshit and on behalf of big tobacco.

11 Likes

@qma thank you for the input, I know you’re the resident expert for vape carts here. So you think it has something to do with the wattage/battery used for these experiments?

Additionally, they seem to be putting most of the blame on the heating element used, not PG. No need to jump the gun and start changing the title of my post.

Am I misreading it? Says the rats were subjected to two hours at either 60 or 70W depending on the group. No one is ripping anything at that wattage for that long. We’re talking like a three second drag for nicotine at that wattage & maybe 10 seconds max on a cart at under 10W.

4 Likes

its literally the same style of test as the “formaldehyde study” where they go 20x the maximum used wattage.

Try firing off a vape at 70 watts. You will literally destroy it. These guys took a stainless steel mod/battery combo and put tiny little vape carts on it and fired them to 70 watts. They 100% knew what they were doing. Now that I know where the money comes from, I know these studies are worthless.

Sources of Funding

This work was supported by NHLBI (R01HL144258 and 3RO1HL‐144258‐02S1). The effect of electronic cigarettes on young versus old normal hearts and pathologic hearts; Tobacco‐Related Disease Research Program (TRDRP; University of California). Effects of Cigarette Smoking and Vaping on Heart Attack. Proposal Number (pC ID): 587712; Award Number; 28IR‐0057.

TRDRP is solely funded through the tobacco tax and individual contributions. We support critically needed new priorities that represent gaps in funding by other agencies or are areas where other agencies are reluctant or unable to provide support. Since TRDRP’s inception, we’ve funded more than 1200 research grants on tobacco-related studies, with 95 percent of our revenue going directly to funding research and education efforts. TRDRP revenue is used to make grants for California scientists and community researchers to find better ways to prevent and reduce tobacco use and its related diseases.

10 Likes

Figures never lie, but liars figure.

If my position is any consumption of the evil weed by cat is bad, I will be able to design an experiment that will validate my point.

God damn! I remember reading those articles :rofl:

I fucking hate academia. I cannot wait until these colleges collapse under all their own bullshit

8 Likes

Ah I knew I needed a reason to watch Thank You For Smoking again.

If you haven’t seen this film, it correlates to our industry quite well. Even if it hasn’t been updated to the vaping scene.

3 Likes

:rofl: 70w really?

To put it in perspective, I vape nicotine juice and run dual stainless steel coils at .14ohms. The wire is a fused clapton, wrapped 7 or 8 times. The coils are huge, 1.5cm wide a piece.

I’m running these monsters at 65w. Any pen style atomizer is designed to run around 10w or less. Everyone knows what happens when you run more power through a circuit than it’s designed to handle. Metal will degrade and melt. This isn’t rocket science lol but the idiots who believe this really need some education.

5 Likes

“I get paid to talk.
I don’t have an MD or a law degree.
I have a bachelor’s in kicking ass and taking names.
You know that guy that can pick up any girl? I’m him on crack.”

3 Likes

Exactly. It’s unfortunate since with a topic of this magnitude, you’d like to read through the study & feel like there’s a lot too unpack. Instead, this is all vague.

While they list VaporFi (and even link to them in the official study for whatever reason) as the source of the juice, they say nothing about the hardware aside from the heating element. We know nothing about the atomizer or cart itself, wicking material, nor what is being used to supply power to the atomizer.

This is problematic since this scenario might not be indicative of how the end user utilizes the product.

If this is a vape cart:

1. That 50/50 ratio is going to be way too thin- even before it’s heated.

2. There’s not many mods out there that are made to hit carts with bottom airflow. The typical 510 connection is going to be seated too low which means you’re effectively just heating the bottom of the cart.

3. Most importantly- you’re not ripping a cart at 70W without a high likelihood of catastrophic failure on the cart. A press fitting or even a screw on can pop off at wattage below that.

How is the hardware running for two hours?:

1. Was the hardware modified? Nearly every box mod has a board that is meant to protect the device from heat, excessive wear/drain on the cells & fire duration. Even custom firmware like ArcticFox will only let you extend the fire cut-off to 60 seconds. It’s obviously not a mech as you wouldn’t get 60 or 70W consistently as the power drained.

2. How is mod itself being powered? Is it running off a set of cells or is this running pass-through which inherently puts more stress on the device?

Somewhat interesting that they mentioned stainless steel did not produce any issues when nichrome is made from nickel & chromium as well, albeit different percentages. With that, you’d think we would’ve seen a lot more incidents given how widespread Ni80 usage is with the cloud bros.

5 Likes

The “Idiots” who believe this, are the ones the politicians are trying to sell to, and they know their target market quite well. It’s studies like these that get used as ammo, and a non-vaper won’t know shit about Wattage. Heck I didn’t until I bought my first mod for my first cart. It scared the hell out of me. So I started very, very low.

The way the world works burns me to bits…

1 Like

The current state of knowledge is that ketene (from vit E) is unlikely to be the culprit because it’s only formed at high temps, well above any temps people vape disty at, including dry hits of cannabis vape coils.

The reason some studies find ketne from vit E is they’re using nic vape carts (e-cigarettes) and pure vit E. Nic vapes, especially sub-ohm, can and do reach into temps exceeding 600-700’c (up to 1,000’C) on dry hits and therefore do produce ketene gas.

It’s a fact vit E alone won’t product ketene gas until it’s heated to at least 650’c…

It’s not at all clear vit E is the culprit of EVALI. But because it’s an easy target it gets the blame…without getting proven to be the cause.

This is borne out because although drums and drums of vit E are still sold in LA for vape juice today, there are no more recorded EVALI cases. Also, the first use of vit E for vaping started in early 2018, but the first EVLI case wasn’t until 13 months later in early 2019 and 2,000 miles away. Occam’s Razor…

So far it’s been found EVALI is not caused by vit E affecting lung surfactanct, it’s not caused lipoid pneumonia from vit e, and thus far no research has found its caused by ketene gas (from vit E) because cannabis vape batteries just don’t get that hot and there is no residual ketene gas (if it’s created at all) from lung fluid samples.

Does “Dry Hit” Vaping of Vitamin E Acetate Contribute to EVALI?
Simulating Toxic Ketene Formation During E-Cigarette Use

This study has an interesting paragraph regarding metals and other catalysis in how they may affect ketene production at 326’C. Which is hotter than vape pens get unless they’re malfunctioning or someone is sucking on an empty cart with the volts as high as possible:

Potential of Ethenone (ketene) to Contribute to E-cigarette, or Vaping, Product Use–Associated Lung Injury

And check out these studies as well:

Is EVALI the new scapegoat for every abnormal chest imaging?

Measurement of heating coil temperature for e-cigarettes with a “top-coil” clearomizer

E-cigarette, or Vaping Product-Associated Lung Injury (EVALI): Seeking the Toxicant(s)

1 Like

My mod has got cranked all the way up in my pocket. Whenever that happens you feel like you inhaled death and whatever coil was in there tastes like burnt popcorn from then on… These studies are a joke! Maybe when they do cigarette tests, they should burn the filter too🤦‍♂️

6 Likes

I used to know a guy that sat in front of a smoking box all day for Philip Morris back when they’d give you a carton for taking a tour of the factory. I wish I still knew him. He used to talk about how they only had him do tests they already knew the answers to. I wish I’d asked all the questions I have now.

4 Likes

Anyone seen this? Suggests there’s a group of patients with damage from caustics in the lungs

I sent an email asking for more info but haven’t heard back

1 Like

Yeah, made it way around here a few times. He find no lipoid pneumonia and didn’t think the lung surfactants are being effected, but he does see that damage.

That damage can’t come from what they blame currently, vitamin E acetate releasing toxic ketene gas, until its super heated to 700’C+, or vaped at very high temp (around 300’C) with metals like copper. See my post: Vape associated lung injury caused by heating elements - or more big tobacco fuckery? - #15 by anon87263109

Right now drums of vitamin E acetate are sold on Skid Row. And for a full 13 months before the first case of EVALI in Wisconsin, vitamin E acetate was sold by the drum load on Skid Row and LA. The onset time of EVALI is 7-10 days.

So to me, they have no clue what it is.

It is very unlikely to be their current suspect: vitamin E acetate. Because it doesn’t cause lipoid pneumonia, it doesn’t affect lung surfactants to loose effectiveness, it doesn’t release ketene gas until vaped at >700’C or >300’C with metals, and it was vaped for 13 months before, and 12 months after, the first and last identified case of EVALI (even though onset time is 7-10 days for EVALI).

It’s a mystery. And I think the culprit is maybe a bad batch of a cutting agent, or some untested analyte - the CDC only tested 17 suspected compounds…

1 Like

It was a bad batch of delta-8 that did it.

5 Likes