Vacuum pump matching test

I have received a huge inquiry on vacuum pumps and tech related questions. Alot of people refered back to this page with thier information. Just curious who’s been going around locking in bad advice and confusing people. So I’ll ask.

What is the correct method to matching up a vacuum pump to short path system?

1,2,3 go. I’d like to hear everyone’s responce first.

Everything is still coming in from Vegas and stuff was being repackaged for Tacoma show, and the shop is shut down for inventoey end of year. After the first when everyone is done I’ll set it up and do it. I’ll even post it on YouTube and make a compacted video for here since the upload sizes are so small.

Your only Roto is still on the way back from Vegas and won’t even make it to the shop because it’s now headed to Tacoma ??

You only have one Roto that you can set up ?

1 Like

I suggest throwing as much suck as you can at the problem.

Nobody ever complained that their vac level was too low to achieve distillation.

Given two pumps with similar blank off values, I suggest the one with the higher CFM. Or the better MTBF if all else is equivalent.

Do you need 21CFM on a 2l? No, but it will do the job, and work with your 5L and probably your 10L when you upgrade…although it should be your backup or your roughing pump at that point in its career.

Oh no, I kept it here to set it up. We’ve just been both busy and on holiday, alot of people are off this week.

Come on man how long does it take to set up a Roto?

If you can’t post a video by the 1st of the year your claims are just outlandish and a ploy to get people to call the shop.

Sounds like you’re just making it as you go. Thankfully I don’t work my staff to the bone and we all had wonderful time with our families during the break. I’ll be sure post one when we all get back. Thanks for your concerns.

1 Like
  1. You clearly don’t know my schedule or my staffs schedule. The crates came begining of this week, behold it’s Xmas… and everyone’s off. I can see you have a hard-on to watch my amazing new roto function and that’s just what I’ll deliver when we all get back from the holidays.

2. This post was to see who and what advice is being given to match pumps up with short paths of all kinds.

I find it interesting that that you’d rather play mental gymnastics and convince yourself of a false narrative continuing your sharade while I’m just focused on the tech part.

When we get back from holidays and catch up I’ll post a video. If you really can’t wait well you can go outside and kick rocks for all I care. It doesn’t matter. Your just setting yourself up to look like a angry fella on this forum when I post a video of the roto kicking ass. And as has been mentioned before. We ran the roto for a week in the shop and many walk ins had seen it. As well as a licensed lab. The only thing your comments tell me is anger, deceptive narrative and ignorant responces. Again I hope you have a wonderful weekend and maybe we can get back to focusing on the op. How people are matching pumps up and what ways they are doing so…

1 Like

Ahhhh shit. And here we go!

3 Likes

Let’s keep the summit roto hate in the summit roto thread.

7 Likes

You’ve posted yours, in the appropriate place. New summit research max rotovap 80 LPH!?!?!? - #257 by Montucky623

I’m with @Apothecary36; let’s keep this thread about how hard one needs to suck to make @spdking happy with your choice of distillation gear.

4 Likes

Rule of thumb seems to be 4-5x your flask volume to CFM?

1 Like

Not taking in account ultimit vac cfm
For wich I recomend western vacpumps not HVAC pumps

I find 4 cfm for every liter of flask a good avarage any more is welcome
Unless working with diffusion
Where I think 50% more cfm than recommended by fproducer is not a good idea for some vapor isseus I have seen in the coldtrap after the pumps
I think personaly that below this cfm avarage , the peaks in vapor give an unsteady vacuum

Interesting. Is this the general advice people are going for. Vastly different from my mating calculations or techniques.

So shoot
I have learned a lot from your vacuum posts and love to hear your calculations backing your advise

2 Likes

Varying techniques will require different vacuums. Time pressure and temperature are the factors. Higher temp lower time? Needs less vacuum. More time less temperature? Requires more vacuum.

1 Like

I’d like to hear more about what other people do to match up vacuum first.

1 Like

I use similar guidance that I found on here. 4-6 times your liters of crude in CFM as a rule of thumb. Will vary depending on how your system is set up, how quickly you like to push through your distillation, etc.

Quit derailing the thread, your annoying.

3 Likes

I read on here and follow the rec’s.

Lol

1 Like