Vacuum Pump Impact Product Outcome

Hey all,

Looking for some guidance. Recently purchased my first scroll pump. I wanted to move away from rotary vane oil pumps because I didn’t like dealing with the constant oil changes, mist filter changes, etc.

The rotary vane pump I was using was a 12 CFM 2-stage rotary vane pump. I am now using a 21 CFM Edwards scroll pump.

The pump on the whole is great, quieter, less of a hassle overall but I’m having some trouble making shatter like I was prior.

Prior, when using the rotary vane pumps, the oil would make these massive muffins on the initial purge and after the second flip, but would stabilize within a couple of hours. I was consistently getting brittle shatter that was glassy and snap easily with minimal to no waxing.

Now, my slabs take probably 5-6 hours of purge time to stabilize, never see the same type of muffin, end as more of a pull and snap consistency, and typically have nucleation.

I figured that the higher CFM on the new pump would mean I would be purging faster, stabilizing quicker, and still not having any wax, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

All other variables of the process have remained the same (following the same SOP) aside from the pump.

I was wondering if anyone would have any insight into what the reason for this is. I’m assuming it is changing the pump, and that it is the difference in how they function in displacing the gas.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I appreciate any and all input.

vacuum depth is different than vacuum speed

1 Like

cfm would be the measurement of the speed, whereas micron is the depth.

Just going off the gauges on the ovens, it looks like we are achieving the same level of vacuum and we are running a pump with a higher cfm. This is why I’m confused and wondering if the cause is rooted in the way that the pumps displace gas.

your manual gauges are not accurate enough. the width of the needle is thousands of microns.

1 Like