Vacuum Ovens and Barometric Pressure

Im curious what everyones ovens get down to based off their barometric pressure?

Currently the barometric pressure where I extract is 29.72. I seem to notice on warmer days. I.E. high pressure days that my ovens will not quite get down as far? On colder days my CascadeTek is hitting "LLL "or -29.9/29.8. Is this all in my head or due to some other phenomenon lol?

Recently, I noticed that my pump was struggling to get down past -29.3/-29.4. This was a little higher than I would like it so I went and bought a new pump.NXds 10ic for reference. I have had my current model for more than a couple years so I figured it was time.

I plugged in my new pump and I am still not getting down to 29.72 or lower and still only -29.4. We are right in the middle of a huge heat wave of 100+ degree weather. Could this be causing the inefficiency?

Only other thing I could think of is it could be my oven gasket? Which Ive been meaning to replace. Or, Across international sent me a defective pump. Wouldn’t surprise me lol

How are you measuring that vac level?

4 Likes

I’m wondering if the space where your pump is located is conditioned or not. Many mechanical devices - especially those with fluids in them - perform differently based on the temperature at which they are operating. Their housings get hot and they lose efficiency. There’s usually a range of operating temperatures that is provided - and often if you go above that temperature then you will see a noticeable decline (if it even continues working…overheated electronics can become non-functional…)

Since your pump doesn’t have fluids (you did say it was a scroll pump…yes?) and its new (assuming it wasn’t broken when received) and you are still in the same area. Is where it is operating below 40C? (104F?) because if not - then the cooling fan may not be able to do its job. The manual for the model you listed says that if its operated above the assigned operating temperature that the motor intentionally reduces its power to prevent it from overheating. So your pump may be working as intended - in a hot space - but not providing you maximum output because its hot.

I 2nd what @Sidco_Cat had to ask - how are you measuring this pressure? If you are not doing routine maintenance on other important things (gaskets, pumps) its possible that you are also not doing maintenance or calibration activities on your pressure indicating devices.

So it could be a lot of different things - but we’ll need to know a bit more about how its operating in order to help.

1 Like

Catherine, what’s up!

You are the perfect person to answer this for me, thank you. I am operating at 66 degrees fahrenheit and it is an nxds10ic. So, no fluid.

The gasket on oven does need to be changed but it seems to be holding a pressure check at -29.4. Only for a few hours though, still need to check it overnight.

Could you point me in the right direction on how to in recalibrate the cascadtek tvo5 vacuum gauge? I never calibrate those things lol.

Do you know if pumps can only operate as low as the barometric pressure? In theory, if the barometric pressure is 29.72…will my pump still get my oven down to 29.8-29.9 or LLL.

what’s up! Sorry, sent first reply to @Sidco_Cat on accident. This was meant for you @Cassin

I am operating at 66 degrees fahrenheit and it is an nxds10ic. So, no fluid.

The gasket on oven does need to be changed but it seems to be holding a pressure check at -29.4. Only for a few hours though, still need to check it overnight.

Could you point me in the right direction on how to in recalibrate the cascadtek tvo5 vacuum gauge? I never calibrate those things lol.

Do you know if pumps can only operate as low as the barometric pressure? In theory, if the barometric pressure is 29.72…will my pump still get my oven down to 29.8-29.9 or LLL.

Whats up! Check out my reply below. Measuring from a cascade tek tv05 electronic gauge . Is recalibration easy?

The gauge on the oven does not have the resolution took need to make any conclusions about can level.

I’ve noticed on hot days I can pull better vacuum

I always thought this was because the air was warmer and more fluid allowing the pump to evacuate more air easier

I could be wrong though :sweat_smile:

1 Like

For the nxds10ic
Ultimate vacuum (total pressure) 0.007 mbar / 0.005 Torr / 5 micron

Take a look at the chart above, you’ll see you lose the resolution while measuring in inHg at deep vacuums which your pump is rated for.
You’ll want something like this for a higher resolution. https://cascadesciences.com/product/vacuum-apparatus/vacuum-ovens-accessories/kirk-1-handheld-gauge-controller/

look at these charts below to answer your questions about altitude effecting vacuum.

at 1000’ ft Maximum Vacuum Level Attainable (inches Hg) is 28.9,
at 5,000’ ft, 24.90 inHg.

5 Likes

Warmer days you might get down to ultimate vac faster due to your product off gassing faster, but cant see why it would be a lower vac on hot days than cold.

3 Likes

Do you think its possible that the electronic gauge on the from of the cascade tek could ready -29.4 and it could be working at -29.7(max allowance based off current altitude)?

I guess this makes sense because sometimes my guage gets down -29.9 or “LLL” and based off the info you provided this would be impossible at the altitude I am at?

Im more curious about how temperature effects vacuum level and not altitude. My altitude does not change (69 ft above sea level). In theory, when pump is working well, we should always be at -29.7 minimum. My gauge must just be reading incorrectly when it goes below that -29.8, -29.9 reading.

3 Likes

Definitely possible. The gauges on most every vac oven is meant as an indicator of performance and are nowhere near as accurate as what you might find from one of the independent gauges that I linked above. Just add a T somewhere inline and attach the gauge. Also a useful tool to have around in general to test for leaks and pump performance.

4 Likes

The relationship between temp and vacuum should be considered in terms of the substance we’re talking about. So, is it water or butane that we’re off gassing?