Vacuum Level

What would be within range for Vacuum levels, been having a really hard time getting below 2000 microns. What be considered perfect vacuum range for SPD

Perfect is subjective.
Some people’s perfect is 0.00001 micron.
While others are happy with 50 micron.
This is what I’m happy with
Under 500 on first pass.
Under 100 on second pass.
I’m usually at 160 first and 60’s on second.

5 Likes

Thank you that certainly helps alot, I’m going to have to refreshe and do dry runs to see how low I can go with this cheap Chinese bullshit. I’ve seen videos with people running at 3000 microns dont know how that’s possible.

Oh 3000 micron works, ur just gonna be bumping that heat up really high. U can watch some old youtube videos of people setting their mantle to like 240C to compensate lol

2 Likes

I’ve done 3 runs on my “china bullshit”. All 3 under 200 microns. Last run was 54 microns during heads.

Cant always blame the glass.

5 Likes

Greasing your joints?

3 Likes

It’s just difficult sometimes spinning a single piece of glassware even a millimeter in the socket causes a drastic change in vacuum pressure.

1 Like

If you spin a greased joint, and vac depth suffers, it’s a leaky joint. Not enough or too much grease.

5 Likes

Grease, then join as you spin down.

3 Likes

I have greased the joints with some aquaphor, brought my vacuum down from 7000 microns to 2000 microns. Aquaphor is not really a vacuum grease but it works. Do you think using actual vacuum grease would give better results?

Is this a trick question?

3 Likes

Aquaphor is a medicated cream correct?
Your gonna distill over the garbage the cream is made from.

2 Likes

You might also have a bad angle, but it’s probably your greasing technique or the grease itself

2 Likes

I would say that bothering to troubleshoot while knowing you’re using aquaphor would be pointless. Definitely try and get some real vacuum grease and try again. Chasing down leaks can be a huge pain in the ass, I share your pain

5 Likes

One aspect that is often overlooked here in quoting vac levels is the size of the system . . . It’s difficult to compete (vacuum-wise) with a small system (2 liter or smaller) when you are rolling with a 10 liter or larger. Unless you have 3 phase power, or diffusion, or turbo!

1 Like

Always appreciate the community here you guys are amazing. I managed to get some success even with pretty high vaccum got about 70mls total, will need another pass guaranteed. Anyone ever get solid results with just one pass running crude oil ?

Distillate works instead of grease on many joints. Just got to remember to warm to separate…

7 Likes

Do you use it for the head? I can see it working elsewhere the head seems like it would leak or get stuck once you start getting hot

I found out whats been happening vacuum was perfectly fine Ive been turning my temps up way to much!!! my material has been pumping up at around 105!!! on the mantle Anymore than that and my product has been turning redish black.

Ya its because you have a leak… Your vacuum is not perfectly fine if its not around or under 150 microns

3 Likes