Vacuum Filtering Directly Into Rotovap?

So I just had the idea to vacuum filter a bucket tek mixture directly into a rotovap using a 2x18 spool filtered over a.c. and d.e. into a rotovap by using the inlet and vacuum port on the rotovap. Idk if it would work but it might cut down a lot of time if it did.

This diagram shows a 1Ă—36 but same principal

pressure filter > vac filter

edit: it will save on transfer losses but not much for time

3 Likes

There’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to do that!

1 Like

Easiest if you run it thru a pre heater or just run a trickle, when its that cold

It worked!!! Yes I know the room is a mess

2 Likes

“Groovy”… did you clean your room up yet?

But maaaaaaa!

2 Likes

So, I do this also, sort of. I have a 3 stage water filtration assembly staged 50 - 10 - 1 micron right before the rotovap, so as the solution is sucked into the roto, it’s filtered. It works well. Question I have is in regards to static electricity doing this. If I am not mistaken there is inherent risk in pulling ethanol or denatured ethanol thru unground tubing. Anyone have any info on how to make this safer? Is it actually a risk?

That was my previous setup. I threw on a nitrogen bottle onto my filter stack to push it through because vacuum was a little slow. But it all works :+1:

2 Likes

Lmfao I really need to clean it today. I need to straighten up my work/tool room too

1 Like

If I aim for EHO instead of RSO next time I might try to aim for 1 micron instead of just using 4Ă— 5 micron filters. This time I just used the stock 150 micron buna-n gasket I got off of bvv a few years back.

1 Like

We polish our micelle and then suck through a 0.1um cartridge filter directly into the roto, works great. Considering ditching the cake and just sonicating the media directly in the feed vessel and using the filter to scoop out the dirt on the way in.

5 Likes

Who makes that cartridge filter? I’ve been using a United Filtration 150 for a similar process but that thing looks like disassembling and cleaning heaven

2 Likes

The element is made by Hydac, the housing was machined and welded by yours truly

4 Likes

Damn I really gotta learn to effin weld.

2 Likes