USPTO Grants Patent 11,110,372 for Cold Extraction Methods for Cannabinoids

The US patent Office has issued a patent to Neptune Wellness Solutions Inc. for methods of producing extracts in cold organic solvent. Has this group had any discussion around this?

@pdxcanna and I discussed a thread of stupid cannabis patents that have been granted by the uspto

I think this one was the one that started the idea

4 Likes

I read it just now and it’s so bogus it makes claims to things that are already being done for decades. It literally covers other people’s sops in vague encompassing detail.

3 Likes

https://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=11,110,372.PN.&OS=PN/11,110,372&RS=PN/11,110,372

this is the thread I made for that, didn’t do any breakdowns on prior art for any patents yet though

Thank you- This seems like basic science, not proprietary techniques- I will jump in and read your thread.

I think the “Interstate Commerce Clause” lawsuit out of Maine could effect any/all of these.

Also- there is a nuance for Patents given to foreign entities and I believe it applies here. We will see how this plays out.

1 Like

how the fuck does something this broad with so much prior art get approved :man_facepalming:

uspto is broken

3 Likes

Great question! After going though licensing for Adult Use- I am convinced these patents and the entities who have them are a driving force for unnecessary SOP requirements. Otherwise, private business’ SOPs should be confidential and the State should not have a say in how the business is operating. Thoughts?

1 Like

Would you mind also linking that lawsuit?

1 Like

You can get patents in other countries, even if you sneak them through…then you just re register in USA. It becomes trade value but can’t be enforced in that country say the United States. Ok other countries it can be alot easier to get patents bc they have very inexperienced patent agents. In America patent agents are lawyers.

1 Like
2 Likes

Pretty sure you can contact USPTO and bring them up to speed on prior art. Patents can be invalidated if you make the USPTO aware.

I did a lot of reading for our bubble hash machine. I have seen idiotic claims including basic industry kit like baffles, spargers, and vibrating sieves that got approved. WTF! I saw an application for a square agitated tank that blew my mind, as if that doesn’t already exist. All these were approved in some fashion. Some patents are so specific that they are worthless because they can easily be bypassed. Some are upsetting, like the patent on the design of the Bubble Magic given to another company.

2 Likes

My ex-wife writes patents. The USPTO clerks are dumb af and half don’t understand the implications of the listings in the patents they cover. Half of the ‘inventors’ were just as batshit. One of them was for “magnetically aligned water” or some such shit.

6 Likes

You too can patent anything if you have the cash to pay a team of lawyers.

My company is considering a few patents at the moment. When asked about what happens if what we’re doing isn’t patentable or gets challenged, the response was “oh getting the patent is no problem, but defending and enforcing it is a totally different story…”

7 Likes