Using Socks for Fresh Frozen Extractions

We want to try to use extraction socks at our facility. We have tried them in the past with a different system. We are running a Bizzy Bee extractor.

We mainly run fresh frozen at our facility. I am mostly looking for pros and cons about using socks for fresh frozen extraction. When we tried them in the past we had trouble packing them and not having the biomass thaw too much. We use cryogenic freezers so that we can smash the biomass.

I want to know if there are any solutions to packing fresh frozen biomass into socks.

3 Likes

You can pack on the machine or get a jacketed column for packing. Dry ice is another option.

2 Likes

Most extraction companies I know use socks. The ones I’m most familiar with have walk-in freezers where the biomass is broken up. You can either pack the socks in the walk-in freezer or pack them (once the bio is broken up) on top of dry ice in a large dry ice container. The last method works better with smaller socks.

After packing the little socks, one well known company immediately seals them with a vacuum sealer and labels the bags. They make a point of not of over vacuuming the bags…you want it tight but not crushed. They load two socks in a material column rather than

I spent a lot of time packing fresh frozen in a walk-in. The only people who don’t suffer while doing this are the ones who have snowboard gear or something similar. Rough being in a -30C freezer for hours at a time. I packed large socks; we have used both the nylon Bizzy Bee socks and ethanol washed them later, but then switched to disposable muslin socks. It takes a lot of time and ethanol to clean the nylon socks well.

3 Likes

We’ve been known to pack our fresh frozen in socks with the aid of a cardboard tube (10” cement form).

It insulates well enough that we can get the biomass packed and back in the freezer before anything thaws much.

Once we get serious about it we’ll probably move the biomass packer into the freezer.

1 Like

we pack socks in a refer seacan at -30c

I push my whole rack of tubes in a walk in and if the ceiling allows it I would pack in there, but I push tubes out for 10 minutes to pack, cap, and vac, and shove it back…… into the freeeeeeezer overnight and run it in the mornin.

We use socks for extracting our dry and fresh frozen… We smash our fresh frozen nugs in vaccum selaed bags with mallets, then pack the socks in our walk-in freezer. Then we move the socks to our cryo, usually a day before extraction.

3 Likes