Using recovery tank has condenser on BHO system

Hey guys,

I’ve been lurking for a while but I’ve been designing a new system for BHO and I’ve had an idea that I haven’t seen anyone implement.

If you have a jacked reaction vessel, you maybe be able to use it as a condensing system to reduce the amount of energy that is supplied by the chiller and water heater (or what have you). You can run the evaporated butane gas through your recovery pump and if you have a sufficient pressure differential you should be able to condense some of your gas on the inside of your outer jacket, thus trading energy to condense and evapourate. It will take energy from the recovery pump, but that is more easily scalable than a condenser setup.

Let me know if anyone is doing this or has tested it.

Like a chilled solvent tank…

1 Like

Seems like a couple or three 1k word substitutes might help…can you draw us a picture?!?

1 Like

There was a company using the hot vapor pumped through the jacketed colection base to warm, and tom from bigfoot extractors( dont know if there still around) was doing some pretty cool stuff like that and auto refrigeration on recovery tanks about 8-10 yrs ago but havent seen or heard any in a awile. Maybe it was indra’s company cant think of the name off hand

1 Like

I think that would be different. You would use the recovery tank as a condensing system, rather than chilling your solvent tank. This is exchanging energy in the closed system instead of adding more external chilling power.

You lost me lol.
Like @cyclopath said, please provide a picture/diagram.

1 Like

Oh cool. Yeah that seems exactly what I’m talking about. I will look into that. Cheers!

@Hansel

Alright guys this is a quick sketch I made. I hope it clears things up. Basically takes advantage of the condensing temperature being inversely proportional to the pressure in the system.

2 Likes

Yea man, Tom was playing with some fun concepts. Indra’s system is designed to take hot vapor from compressor outlet and pass thru recovery chamber jacket and use it as a heating source. His system is only rated to 250psi, and uses a butane heavy solvent mix. His design is idealistic and provides a very slow recovery. It can be tweaked to make reality better fit the ideal case, but not with the equipment as delivered by Indra’s company PureExtractor.

2 Likes

Yeah. The math checked out but I don’t know if there would be too many losses for it to be worth it. Would seem that almost 30% in energy savings could happen (meaning probably a notable recovery rate increase).

The heated coil in the liquid mass as you have drawn will help make up for any losses and allow you to add Kw to the evaporator as needed. That is one thing Indra’s system does not have that it should. What are the compressor outlet conditions you plan on running with?

1 Like

What ever happen to bigfoot, had a table top setup yrs back that was tits. Had some awesome ideas and made some nice stuff. Indra’s idea seems once dialed is definitely a nice thing at scale if going that route.

Huh, do you have links to either designs? Might be useful to take a looksie. I’m planning to extract at around -40 C so my butane in should be around that temp. The greater the difference the greater the heat transfer rate through the SS of the jacket. I’m only gonna be running at 150 PSI on the output of the compressor, but according to the phase diagram for butane that should be sufficient. So I wonder what Indra’s temp difference was…

1 Like

Indra does or use to have an Instagram and he shows alot on his site.

may want to hydrostatic test that jacket first.

4 Likes

Yeah. More of a concept idea. Would probably need a custom double jacketed system to make it work properly.

1 Like

I’ve done this before. I had a bunch of extra tanks. My main 200 gallon tank wasn’t jacketed so I Daisy chained in a 30 gallon jacketed tank that was being chilled.

Recovery pumps - >water/glycol cooled coils → 30 gallon tank set to -10 → 200 gallon tank

I connect the liquid line of the 30 gallon to a vapor line on the 200 gallon

3 Likes