Using Limonene as an alternative to hexane for CBD Isolation

I am interested in using the terpene limonene as an alternative to hexane for isolating CBD. I am curious if anyone possibly has any pointers or experience with this and would be willing to provide some insight. I have all the equipment needed for proper experimentation and am currently working with distillate testing around 70% CBD potency.

1 Like

I think you’ll have a horrible time removing limonene from your finished product with a bp of 176c.

Try pentane instead of hexane.

4 Likes

If you are trying to do this to have the residual solvents safe to consume and to add taste or flavor I would recommend using terpenes with a lower boiling point.

I would still probably do my first crash with hexane and then recry with terpenes though.

1 Like

@thetetraguy uses a similar process for his terped isolates

3 Likes

With the vacuum that I am working with, I would be able to get the boiling point as low as 70 degrees celsius

Beta caryophylene 130 c bp

Yeah! Im even recystalizing cbg, and cbn aswell in hemp terps, to get a complaint dabbale cannabinoid rock/diamond. Its steam distilled hemp terps so its got the whole spectrum.
For cbd i recommend 2:1 terps:cbd for slow growing bigger crystals. And 1:1 for quick small crystals.

7 Likes

The reason I am trying this experiment is to see if I can successfully isolate CBD without the use of alkane based solvents

1 Like

Is your first crash with solvent?

I can use either isolate or distillate, to crash out the cbd in terpenes. If u distilled a 90% cbd disty then put it in terpenes, youd be good to go. No “harsh” solvents used

4 Likes

We’re still talking about having a Terped end product though, correct? You’re not purging this down to a true isolate?

2 Likes

Correct, this is a method a lot of people use for smokeable consumer goods. usually used in thca methods but now its getting popular with the federally legal compounds.

2 Likes

The idea is to cold crash the isolate and purge the residuals

1 Like

End product looks like this

And the terps will be trapped in the crystal lattice, so the terps last a long long time

4 Likes

My initial idea was to purge it down to true isolate

1 Like

Youll need to still crush and purge for anything close to 99%

4 Likes