Using a 1L flask in 2L mantel

Good day everyone

I was wondering if it is possible to use a 1L BF in a 2L Mantel?
I was thinking of using heating beads??? or sand??? or?

The reason being is not having enough crude to start with… I’m sure you have been in this situation.

Any advice will be appreciated.

From what I gathered on another thread it seems ok to run your BF at 50%.

1 Like

Sand works, put down a couple layers of foil first, put the small flask on top of the foil, back fill with sand.

Definitely don’t dump sand directly on to the fabric… Learn from my failures lol

16 Likes

I put the flask at the bottom of the mantle with a small amount of foil underneath, and more on top to fill the space.It works like a champ and conducts the heat to the flask better than the sand. My first go at distilling cannabinoids hella years ago was in a oil bath with fry oil, The oil was basically at its flash point the entire time lol!

5 Likes

Thats the kind of school fees that are to be paid…

Thanks

2 Likes

I always get good laughs when I hear people and all the funny creative things they’ve done conducting experiments

3 Likes

that should be fine. you will have some hot areas but it will work

Gang, if I got a 2l mantle for a 1l(it’s only digital stirrer mantle available past month) could I use:

or

to fill in the space gaps?
I also have 3a sieves but kinda don’t wanna have to use those if i don’t have to?

Are you trying to insulate or conduct? Think about it

3 Likes

Yeah I just realized that too. Been trying to figure alternative.

1 Like

the ones listed up thread don’t appeal?

Then read :Anybody ever use sand in heating mantle for SPD?

3 Likes

I have been looking around a alot and tonnes of people seem to claim any kind of fillers on heating mantles tends to create heat spots and causes issues/dangers. People also seem to say sand isn’t good for 350c+ I think it was? I was just trying to figure a nice clean easy conductive relatively cheap material with very high temp tolerances. Seems most mats like that tho are thermal insulators by nature and not conductive. Conductive materials not begin pliable or feasible for inserting into oversized heating mantles =/
Maybe I’m just hoping for to much. With no risk there can be no reward I suppose…
Shame something like ceramic sheets would be so easy to just fold into a mantle and place the flask into without creating mess or issues? Only it’d block the heat from the flask not conduct it to the flask lol. Wonder if they have something like a insulating insert only conductive not insultative that I just haven’t found yet that could cleanly and quickly be wrapped around flasks to fill those spots without issue to give more easy use/lowered risk/hassle to this idea?
Just like anything online to tho, so much mixed infos. Hard to tell what’s what.

what exactly are you trying to do? @Space_Dandy are you trying to get a specific result with a mantle/flask setup you have? I saw you comment about mantles and insulation on a few threads but I’m having trouble picturing your end goal

1 Like

I just fill the extra space with fiberglass rope.

1 Like

Sure bud. 2L 450c mantles are only a couple bucks more then 1ls. And their digital. And in my experience much more available. I’ve been waiting months for 450c 1l mantles to be available again, but still out of stock. I actually noticed vevor has taken them off their site all together.
And I personally like the idea of having a slightly bigger mantle case I step up later.
So basically just trying to safely find a safe easy to use(clean) filler to make a 1l or maybe even smaller fit in a 2l mantle or w.e ones needs maybe? And be able to run at high end temps without worries of burn outs or heat tape strain or any of that such things.

Yeah, fiberglass rope and ceramic blanketing was on my lists but both are so insulative I’m a little worried since it seems what we’d want for this is something conductive so it doesn’t block the heat or mess with the system or internal temp regulators.
What is your personal experience with this my friend and what rope do you use? The rope seems more expensive then the ceramic blanket but not by to much?

1 Like

For cannabis you don’t need 450C you would be fine with 300C in almost all cases I can think of.

I would just cover it with something like this and don’t worry too much about the gaps. 1L in a 2L is not a huge difference.

There’s also a heated version of that.

6 Likes

You do bring up a good point, but it’s never caused me issues, although it’s not often that I’ll use a mismatched flask and mantle. Sometimes you just have to make do with what you have. Filling the gaps with rope still maintained the heat quite well. I prefer rope over a blanket for this since I can coil the rope around the flask and get it as flush as possible with the mantle. AlexSiegel’s suggestion is also perfect and I’ve used it before as well. It’s nice to have both a domeshield and fiberglass rope. Not saying you have to use both at the same time, though (done this as well, no issues).

1 Like

Oh very cool thanks so much for the feedback mate appreciate ya. I will explore these avenues =)

That thing is really cool but at 270 dollars it’s twice the cost of the whole mantle XD I think if I was trying to just insulate the top like that I’d get the ceramic blanket inserts for 17 bucks and coil and tuck into the top ;p Tho I do love that thing. Maybe one day… if I get rich. ;p Pro stoofers.